Nikon AF Lens not attaching

talonop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently ordered a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D lens for my N75. However, it does not seem to want to screw on to my camera body. My cheaper "G" lens goes on fine, but I cannot seem to get the 1.8 on.

I am aligning the mounting dot on the lens with the one on the camera, but when I turn couter-clockwise, it seems to be stuck. It goes a few millimeters, then meets very stiff resistance. I do not want to force it, because I am afraid it might break.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

I got it on, finally, but I had to force it a little bit. I took a few pictures, and I love the lens, even if the autofocus is a little bit louder than I would have liked. Wonder if maybe some lenses are just a heckuva lot harder to attach..

Was the lense made in China? So far the ones made in Japan slap on smoothly but the ones made in China take a little effort for me to get on. I have to slightly push in my 50mm lense while turning it in order to it go on.

Yes! The lens is made in China. Strange, because I paid an extra 10 bucks for the USM version. I also had to push down to get it on.

Quality wise, is there any difference? I guess what I am asking is, should I get an exchange?

There doesn't seem to be much difference quality wise except for the fit issue, so I don't think you'll need to return it. I believe all the 50mm Nikon lenses are made in China anyway.

Also USM is a Canon term, which I believe stands for ultra sonicwave motor. The Nikon equivalent is AF-S, which is the silent wave motor. You'll easily know when you have an AF-S lense because it will be quiet and fast focusing.

There is no Nikon 50mm lense with the silent wave motor sold, atleast in the USA, so you might have been ripped off. If there was it definitely would not be sold for only $10 more. It would be more like $100 more.

By USM, I mean United States Manufactured, which actually only means that it is distributed in the US (since the lens is made in china!). Sorry about the confusion. Anyways, if it does not affect quality, then I guess a return would be unneccesary. Thank you for clearing that up.

Most reactions

Back