Nikon all round lens

dabe3100

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I have a d3100 and looking for a cheap all round lens 18-200 or 250+.
Any segregation?

get the 35mm f/1.8

I need just one lens as I am travelling and can't carry a lot of gear.

at the expense of less sharp pics for a "do it all travel lens" I'd tote the 18-200. But I'd make different travel arrangements beforte i settled for that lens.

Is that the nikon 18-200vr 2? That just too expensive at around £600.

man oh man quality pics require quality gear too, no matter what the reviews on cheap lenses at amazon say

My budget is £350, that's the only problem or I would go for the Nikon.

Go for 18-105mm I believe they are still in stock and under 500 US, or the 85 1.8; from what I reviewed it's a very good alternative to their expensive cousin.

I think in Nikon lineup, especially on the dx front amongst better, cheaper lenses is Nikon 18-70 3.5-4.5
Nikon 18-200 I've used for extensive period of time and although it isn't a top quality glass, if you know its limitations you can get away with good results. As for V1 or V2, I haven't seen the difference in quality.
Nikon 18-105, is similar to 18-200 just narrower zoom range.
For the price of 18-200 you can get Sigma or Tamron 17-50 2.8 = you loos the zoom range but win faster and sharper glass.

One of my favorite older lenses is 28-105 3.5-4.5 (http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumb....com/aparaty_image/1926_nikon_AF%2028-105.jpg)
I think it is an amazing piece of glass and although it might be a bit tight on the dx body as an walk around glass, its quality is far superior to any of the other ones I mentioned above.

Kool, so go for a shorter zoom. But is their a non Nikon that has a longer zoom? Still under £350 and still good quality shots?

You want quality, you have to pay for it! Cheap plastic, soft, janky lenses are exactly what you pay for when you cheap out.

Photography is a very expensive hobby. It's an even more expensive business.

Kool, so go for a shorter zoom. But is their a non Nikon that has a longer zoom? Still under £350 and still good quality shots?

It's been my experience that for Nikon mount, Nikon is the best choice when comparing comparable lenses. 3rd party makers (Tokina, Tamron, Sigma, etc.) have some good lenses, but when compared to their direct Nikon competition, they always fall short in my book. You'll pay a bit more for Nikon, but you definitely get your money's worth.

To answer your question about longer zoom lenses... there are options, but at your stated budget, you're not going to be happy with the resulting images unless you can steal something off of CL or eBay.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back