Nikon Announces D6 Camera and Z-mount Lenses

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by VidThreeNorth, Feb 12, 2020.

1. VidThreeNorth

VidThreeNorth No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    "Nikon announces new flagship D6 camera plus two new Nikkor lenses for Z-mount"
    posted Feb 11, 2020 by Dave Pardue, Imaging Resource
    "Nikon announces new flagship D6 camera plus two new Nikkor lenses for Z-mount"

Due to a long pre-announcement leak Nikon made clear that this camera was "coming" as far back as September 2019, and it was anticipated as a new flagship sports/news camera. Oddly, I still don't have a price or shipment date, but I think I probably just missed it somewhere.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. TWX

TWX No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I find it interesting that both Canon's and Nikon's newest top-end pro cameras are in the 20 megapixel range. I have to assume that given the target market for these cameras are true professionals, if someone can't do it with 20 megapixels, they probably can't do it at all and really don't have a lot of business using this camera at these sorts of events.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    MSRP $6,500 available 04/2020

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    We wonder why this is called their "flagship", given the depressing lack of any real advancements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. TWX

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If the camera was perceived by its users as being nearly perfect, do you think that they're going to change much?

Based on this comparison it looks like the changes are entirely evolutionary. They've improved shutter speed, added electronic shutter, improved the autofocus system slightly, updated the media to newer/faster, improved the video recording runtime, improved connectivity out of the camera to computers, added extra audio and video codecs and extra file formats for still images, and added what basically amount to filters or presets for various shooting modes.

If you're a professional that already shoots with the predecessor(s), would you want to have to learn a brand new camera interface or all-new features? To me this makes sense, if the old camera was entirely well-suited to its target users and just needed a few usability tweaks and a very mild amount of new features to keep up with demand, why change much?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The D850 is for the megapixel chasers. The D5 and D6 have lower MP counts because the target market wants around 20 megapixels, tops.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. TWX

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It wouldn't surprise me that even if they might like to have more than 20MP, they want fast continuous shooting speed and the ability to continuously write to media even more. Both the new Nikon and the new Canon are sixteen frames per second through the viewfinder, the Canon is 20 frames per second in live-view. That takes a LOT of processing power and memory to do something at 20MP with all that data, any higher resolution would undoubtedly come with lower continuous shooting speeds in order to keep the battery life up and the heat from the microprocessor down.

General improvements in microprocessor technology might allow for higher write-speeds, but then the companies would have to decide if they want to apply those write-speeds to even faster continuous shooting speeds, or to resolution, or to apply some improvements to both. I'm going to guess the first, since it appears that professional quality results don't even require 20MP.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. VidThreeNorth

VidThreeNorth No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A lot of what is happening with the latest Sports/News cameras has to do with getting the pictures to the market. It is "extended workflow" looking at the Internet. There is also some video upgrading. As I have written before, I think that video does not really fit this market, but I could be wrong. . . .

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, as Designer keenly seen as I, what the heck is going on with those specs? Thats the D6? Really? Doesn't look like a Nikon flagship upgrade to me. What a joke. I'm not talking about megapixels either, its for low light and sports action. Might as well save your money or move over to Canon.

10. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe now I can finally afford a D4s

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    And for studio work... it's no low-light queen, but for studio work, the 850 can't be beat. That said, the D6... somewhat underwhelming. Are we getting to the limit of technology? Sort of the way we did with computer CPUs a few years back?

12. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Definitely looking at adding a D4s / D5 to the stable.

• Agree Agree x 1