Nikon Announces D6 Camera and Z-mount Lenses

The D6 probably will not sell well. I don't see anything that screams, I am gonna sell my D4 or 5 and get this.

The Df and the D4 both have 16- something megapixel sensors. BIg pixels, spectacular low-light performance, good file size economy. If you need a bigger file for printing large, then the one-digit Nikon cameras of recent manufacture are not for you.

Wow, as Designer keenly seen as I, what the heck is going on with those specs? Thats the D6? Really? Doesn't look like a Nikon flagship upgrade to me. What a joke. I'm not talking about megapixels either, its for low light and sports action. Might as well save your money or move over to Canon.

I really do not understand where you are coming from with this. I have an idea that the autofocus system will be incredible. With 105 cross-type sensors This camera should grab Focus even in bad light.

You guys are crazy. It can grab focus at f/8 down to -4.5ev...

Better focusing system, better processor, built-in WiFi and gps, better shutter, can record videos much longer and better USB protocol, better storage protocol, better battery.

Like what more do you want?

Last edited:
You guys are crazy. It can grab focus at f/8 on all sensors down to -4.5ev...

Better focusing system, better processor, built-in WiFi and gps, better shutter, can record videos much longer and better USB protocol, better storage protocol.

Like what more do you want?
I don't think the point was that this was not a great camera, but rather that it wasn't so much better it's predecessor as to make everyone with a D4s or D5 run out and buy a couple. Lots of enhancements and improvements, but I don't see anything that would make me put a D5 out at the curb to get one of these.

No. But NASA might buy another 50 of them...

We are now in the era of incremental upgrades...not big leapfrogging...it is now 2020, not 2005...it is more about perfecting and refining than about inventing and innovating. We are no longer in the era where a new model makes people rush out to buy it in droves.

Success or evaluation of a model should not be Based upon its sales success. The same thing goes for quality. I would venture to say that the Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud Is a much better made and a better car than a Kia Sephia, even though Kia probably sells, at minimum, 1000 times more vehicles per year. If we are to look at sales volume, then McDonald's is the world's greatest hamburger restaurant.

Wow, as Designer keenly seen as I, what the heck is going on with those specs? Thats the D6? Really? Doesn't look like a Nikon flagship upgrade to me. What a joke. I'm not talking about megapixels either, its for low light and sports action. Might as well save your money or move over to Canon.

I really do not understand where you are coming from with this. I have an idea that the autofocus system will be incredible. With 105 cross-type sensors This camera should grab Focus even in bad light.

I was thinking it would be something more. Like something that would seperate them from the competition. I have a hard time with the upgrades listed as being significant considering this is a flagship product, Olympic year in Japan, and Nikons pedigree. I was expecting more but what do I know...

When the D850 and D5 first came out i saw a lot of comparisons for the AF, and the D5 blew the D850 away. Now the D6 is even better than that -- and that's the whole selling point of these workhorses.

On top of that it now uses CFexpress, and can write up to 1400 mb/sec. The D5 is limited to 400 mb/sec write speeds.

The D6 was really playing catch up to the D1X, with greater emphasis over AF than SS. I realize the 1DX can shoot a bit faster, and especially in LV, but I'm not seeing the operators of these camera using LV at all.

But for the same price as the D5 (which has now dropped by $1000) you get a nice bump in performance, just like the D780, it's nice they are keeping their model lines modernized with their current tech.

The D6 probably will not sell well. I don't see anything that screams, I am gonna sell my D4 or 5 and get this.
Do you have a D4 or D5?

I suppose my best analogy given my professional field would be in network test tools. I have a tool that tests copper pinouts and network link up to 100BaseTX, CDP neighbor identification (ie what's at the other end of the cable), protocol testing, and can do up to Class III PoE testing. I buy a tool that can still do copper pinouts, but the network link is now up to 1000BaseT, still does CDP but adds LLDP too, still does protocol testing, and can do Class IV PoE testing. As a professional I make that purchase because while the changes are evolutionary, I can benefit from those changes, and because as a professional I can write-off the cost of the purchase of the tool as a business expense, depreciate that cost over time.

Professional photographers might well find themselves in the same position. The older model works fine, but the newer model has incremental improvements in existing features (the camera-side) and some fairly substantial improvements in the back-end for basic connectivity to get the images out of the camera. Depending on what services Nikon is offering, it wouldn't surprise me if they have or will introduce a service that allows a Wi-Fi connected camera to connect to Nikon's servers to mirror the data, caching it for later retrieval or for retrieval by say, an editor working in a remote office. This allows the photographer to concentrate on the pictures, while the editor can make editorial decisions as to which photos to use/purchase, especially when covering live events where the value of the information drops the longer it takes to come to publication.

The familiarity in the design is actually the strong suit. The photographer picks it up and it works like their old one but better, the only things to relearn are all improvements. Same with Canon's new offering. It's familiar, it's just a bit better than the old one was.

I was thinking it would be something more. Like something that would seperate them from the competition. I have a hard time with the upgrades listed as being significant considering this is a flagship product, Olympic year in Japan, and Nikons pedigree. I was expecting more but what do I know...

With respect, what exactly did you have in mind? This is a top-shelf pro tool--not something duking it out with Instant Pots for shelf space at Best Buy. It has to work, bug-free straight from the box with none of the embarrassing glitches/recalls Nikon's suffered recently. Those who need it will get it because of the specs. Online whining about the insufficiency of the same specs won't matter to them. Sorry but it's no gold-ingot pooping unicorn.

It's going to be a solid, solid workhorse, no matter what Canon has in the same space.

This is aimed at working photographers. For other groups, there are other offerings/choices.

The people who are buying this will not be selling their D4s or D5 to buy it. They will be retiring their D3s backup body and moving their D4 or whatever to backup duty, or in my case hanging from my left side. While the D6 will get attached to the big lens. And yes, I placed my order within 30 seconds of getting the email from Nikon. Really looking forward to testing out the low light focus ability. And as far as 20 MP is concerned I have no issues with 16 MP photos on a billboard so no real need to up it more than that.

billboard-1.jpg

And a new one that will be going up soon, this might not be the final design

img-0.jpg

Most reactions

Back