Nikon battery - COUNTERFEIT!

Also, check out the printed information - Authentic 7.4V 1.41Ah min vs the Fake 7.4V 1.14Ah min

IMG-20110715-00032-1.jpg

As previously mentioned, this is being returned to seller at their expense. I had already thrown the shipping envelope in my trash, but I dug it out covered in coffee grounds and all. They send me their garbage, they can have mine too. ;)

Last edited:
If you don't have anything to back up your statement, it IS a guess.

Well lets see, you say "a guess", which would mean you are refering to it as a noun. The dictionary says:

Dictionary.com said:
–noun 6. an opinion that one reaches or to which one commits oneself on the basis of probability alone or in the absence of any evidence whatever.

7. the act of forming such an opinion: to take a guess at someone's weight.

So no, it is not a guess because my personal experience is evidence. It may not be documented, but that does not change the fact that I have personally witnessed many more failures with aftermarket batteries than OEM ones. So, now I should ask, are you just playing with semantics to try to hide the facts or are you outright calling me a liar?

Allan

............... or are you outright calling me a liar?

Allan

Not at all. I'm just pointing out that without empirical data, your guess is merely that......... a guess. You seem to be hell-bent on presenting it as the 11th Commandment.

Last edited:
The thing with buying brand and off brand can be for the name, but it's usually much more.

In some cases, the branded manufacturer is required to allow alternative options for its consumers on battery options. So say you buy a Nikon camera. In case there is the fear of Nikon going belly up, Nikon camera owners should have the option of buying non-Nikon branded batteries because it's something that is meant to be replaced over time.

That said, the difference between a branded battery and non-branded battery can very well be in how they test and rate the product's performance. A branded battery can have a much more stringent test on their products. For example, if a battery is promised to have 50% of its capacity left after 3 years of regular usage, a branded battery can actually have 80% left, where as a non-branded one can only be 60%. So a branded battery gives you more than what is put on the printed spec.

Reliability can be an issue too. This will have to do with how the manufacturing is executed. Nikon can license its design to third party vendors, but they will only provide critical elements of the design, just enough to make it work but not enough to release valuable information that can hurt them in the longer run. Nikon can even just provide those critical components to make sure that the batteries work with the camera, such as ic chips. However, Nikon probably will have different cell vendors because this is where the cost difference can be significant. One can get it from reputable and proven suppliers like Sony, Panasonic or Sanyo. The other can be from a Chinese vendor that has little market share. Not saying which is better, but the stability of the cell can cause huge issues.

Generally speaking, if I am buying battery for an equipment that I care about, I will get the branded batteries. If it's for a 7 year old point and shoot, I will get the off branded ones.

480sparky said:
Not at all. I'm just pointing out that without empirical data, your guess is merely that......... a guess. You seem to be hell-bent on presenting it as the 11th Commandment.

Not at all, it is just your use of the term "guess" implies that it was just something I whipped out when in fact it was me actually seeing the failures with my own eyes.

I will be the first to admit that everyone's experiences may vary, but that does not invalidate my observations.

Allan

I am really surprised at the answers to Mr Malone's post. He is not asking for advice, he is helping others by showing how a fake battery may look like, so others would know. People who do not understand the purpose of his post should refrain from posting stupid answers, telling him why he needs an original Nikon when he can get a generic battery for 5 bucks and telling him their experience with generic batteries.

2 years ago I bought a maximal power (brand name but not original manufactures) battery for my Olympus DSLR from Amazon. there were 500 reviews about that battery 4.5 stars out of 5. after one year my camera malfunctioned, a permanent one even with using the original Olympus battery. it was under warranty, i sent, got a replacement. but as soon as i used the maximal power battery, it developed the same problem like before. i removed it quickly, used original battery, was fine....the problem was not permanent. i tried once more, used maximal power battery, same problem, used original...no problem. since then i never used that battery and ordered a new Olympus battery. the problem was.... it was not saving images to CF card and some problems with firing flash, sounds strange but i confirmed and it only happened with using the generic battery, although the battery was fully charged n all.

now i have a 2000$ D600. original battery is for 55$ but i would prefer that than to risk my camera with a generic 10$ battery.

People who do not understand the dates on posts should refrain from digging up old outdated posts to respond to.

The funny thing is im pretty sure you stress test the battery against your "real" nikon and you wont see the difference.

Funny thing is, if he wanted a generic battery, it would have been a lot cheaper.

oops. though in my case it hit the new posts list ;-)

I am really surprised at the answers to Mr Malone's post. He is not asking for advice, he is helping others by showing how a fake battery may look like, so others would know. People who do not understand the purpose of his post should refrain from posting stupid answers, telling him why he needs an original Nikon when he can get a generic battery for 5 bucks and telling him their experience with generic batteries.

2 years ago I bought a maximal power (brand name but not original manufactures) battery for my Olympus DSLR from Amazon. there were 500 reviews about that battery 4.5 stars out of 5. after one year my camera malfunctioned, a permanent one even with using the original Olympus battery. it was under warranty, i sent, got a replacement. but as soon as i used the maximal power battery, it developed the same problem like before. i removed it quickly, used original battery, was fine....the problem was not permanent. i tried once more, used maximal power battery, same problem, used original...no problem. since then i never used that battery and ordered a new Olympus battery. the problem was.... it was not saving images to CF card and some problems with firing flash, sounds strange but i confirmed and it only happened with using the generic battery, although the battery was fully charged n all.

now i have a 2000$ D600. original battery is for 55$ but i would prefer that than to risk my camera with a generic 10$ battery.

I totally agree despite the fact that you're about a 1.5yrs late for this party :D
I don't f*ck with the power sources in any of my electronics especially the more expensive ones. Get the good stuff or suffer the consequences by trying to save a couple of bucks.

gryphonslair99......this thread is not closed yet!

I got a counterfeit battery from eBay today, i was searching for photos of counterfeit batteries to compare mine, that's how i got to this thread. I really appreciate that Malone made an effort and posted pics of counterfeit ones here to help others.

I got a counterfeit
battery from eBay today, i was searching for photos of counterfeit batteries to compare mine, that's how i got to this thread. I really appreciate that Malone made an effort and posted pics of counterfeit ones here to help others.

If you don't buy from reputable dealers, because you are trying to save a buck... that is what happens! Like they say "Caveat Emptor"! Next time try B&H or Adorama... won't happen! ;)

If you don't buy from reputable dealers, because you are trying to save a buck... that is what happens! Like they say "Caveat Emptor"! Next time try B&H or Adorama... won't happen! ;)

I am not complaining here :)
was just telling how i came across this thread :)

I got a counterfeit battery from eBay today, i was searching for photos of counterfeit batteries to compare mine, that's how i got to this thread. I really appreciate that Malone made an effort and posted pics of counterfeit ones here to help others.

People who do not understand the dates on posts should refrain from digging up old outdated posts to respond to.

Why? Does the information contained therein expire?

I did not say the thread was closed, nor did I ever state that the information contained therein expired.

But please tell me what purpose is served in digging up a 1 1/2 year old thread only to have a response complain about the responses others gave the OP's post? Did it provide any insight into the issue of counterfeit batteries or how to spot them? We probably all have stories to tell about getting ripped off in the past in some way or another.

I have often encourage others to do some research, use the search function, google search etc. to look up information that has already been discussed before asking a question. Can save a lot of time that way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back