Nikon=Canon

Nope, not a pixel peeper - a hands on shooter. I see no problem with your unprocessed shot considering the ISO and a crop sensor. As an old film guy, I still say that folks are too hung up on noise :D

Thanks for popping those up - good to see.

Marc
The 50D is quite capable at high ISO's of capturing a usable picture. I rarely push it past 3200 though. The 6400 shots I've taken were "just to see". Surprisingly, if the circumstances are right it will do a pretty good job.

It's critical that you nail your exposure to minimize noise. The 50D is very unforgiving in this regard in my experience. That's why I often shoot something where the meter tells me (assuming it's not obvious to me that its going to be off - like when shoot snow), then I will shot a stop left and right just for good measure.

The 50D is quite capable at high ISO's of capturing a usable picture. I rarely push it past 3200 though. The 6400 shots I've taken were "just to see". Surprisingly, if the circumstances are right it will do a pretty good job.

It's critical that you nail your exposure to minimize noise. The 50D is very unforgiving in this regard in my experience. That's why I often shoot something where the meter tells me (assuming it's not obvious to me that its going to be off - like when shoot snow), then I will shot a stop left and right just for good measure.

Being a Nikon shooter for many years, I do understand the importance of nailing exposure in trying to avoid noise :lol: so I will add one more to your list:

- Get your WB right in camera. Making radical changes later can contribute to noise - yes, even in raw.

I do agree that the hotel night stand scene is not particularly challenging, but the dark alarm clock gave me enough shadow area to at least look at :)

Marc

I think that most kinda match up, but I do not see the 5D mkII and the D700 being diect competitors. The D700 cannot do video, and the mkII cannot match the D700's high ISO performance. From a marketing standpoint, though, I would think that they are often put head to head, but both do things the other cannot come close to and in that sense, I do not feel that they are really facing off against each other and are more for different target audiences. The Canon for the video crowd and the Nikon for the low light shooter crowd.

I think that most kinda match up, but I do not see the 5D mkII and the D700 being diect competitors. The D700 cannot do video, and the mkII cannot match the D700's high ISO performance. From a marketing standpoint, though, I would think that they are often put head to head, but both do things the other cannot come close to and in that sense, I do not feel that they are really facing off against each other and are more for different target audiences. The Canon for the video crowd and the Nikon for the low light shooter crowd.
I think they're competitors, they're just in different cycles. The next iteration of the D700 (whatever it is) will likely have HD video.

To me the ISO differences between the two isn't really as notable as are the differences in the AF systems. The D700 borrows from the highly advanced D3 series for amazing AF capabilities whereas the 5DMk2 still has the antiquated 9 point system of yesteryear. I really-really was hoping Canon would have pulled their head out and at least given the 5DMk2 an AF system as good as the 50D's and I really hoped beyond all hope they would take the 1D's system. Ehhh... not to happen.

I think the 5DMk2 targets portrait/wedding/studio photographers while the D700 targets these as well but also caters to the action crowd with the advanced AF. Canon wants to push the sports/action crowd to the 1D series... perhaps their market research shows they have more money to spend or something <shrug>. Class wise, I see them as being in the same league with different capabilities (full frame, prosumer metal chassis and one step below their respective flagship models).

Last edited:
Whenever you say Canon/Nikon in the same sentence you open up this huge Pandora's Box ...

The problem with comparing Canon to Nikon and vice versa is that no two camera share the same rung.

Imagine placing Canon and Nikon cameras on a ladder or stairs the top being the best and most expensive the bottom being the least expensive with the least features.

Canon and Nikon: cameras and features and pricing seem to alternate on the steps ... no two cameras have the same features for a true dollar-for-dollar ... feature-for-feature comparison.

Gary

PS - To be honest, IQ wise, at under ISO 400, and up to an 8x10, you won't see a difference in the IQ from the most expensive to the least expensive dSLR, all less being equal (except possibly in the shadow detail).
G

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back