Nikon Coolpix S52 vs. comparable Canon PowerShot?

Emme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I already own a DSLR (Canon XTi) and the Canon PowerShot S60. I'm looking to phase the S60 out in favor of an ultra-compact camera that I can take with me to events, concerts, etc.

I'm looking for a camera that is good in low-light situations, has image stabilization, is tiny, has decent video recording quality, and a short lag time between shots, and good battery life (or recharging system).

Both the Nikon Coolpix S52 and its competitor the Canon PowerShot SD750/790/etc. seem to fit the bill but I was hoping to hear from you guys on what your experiences have been. I'm not attached to the Canon or Nikon brands either so I'd love to hear your recs.

Thank you! :)

Last edited:
I'm looking for a camera that is good in low-light situations, has image stabilization, is tiny, has decent video recording quality, and a short lag time between shots, and good battery life (or recharging system).

:lol::lol: Bahhhhaaaaaahhhaaaaa ..... what is it you mean good in low-light situations?

edit: I'm sorry... that might appear rude if you don't know me.... I can speak nicely of the Lumix FZ18 but it becomes disqualified as the word TINY is in bold type....

Last edited:

Both the Nikon Coolpix S52 and its competitor the Canon PowerShot SD750/790/etc. seem to fit the bill but I was hoping to hear from you guys on what your experiences have been. I'm not attached to the Canon or Nikon brands either so I'd love to hear your recs.

Thank you! :)
You're gonna have a hard time finding an ultra compact with good battery life, let alone good low-light performance. For a compact camera my Panasonic FX35 offers decent (at least compared to other cameras of its size) low-light performance if set right and the super wide angle zoom is great. I would recommend looking into the slightly older FX33. Go on Amazon and look at reviews and pictures taken with the different cameras you're considering. Canons will probably be at least amongst the quickest meaning very little shutter lag. Nikons aren't known for being too quick between shots. From what I've read the consensus is that in general Canons produce good shots out of the box while Nikons make shots that are great but could use post-editing on the computer. I used to have a Canon SD630 that was quick and gave me nice shots outside. Unfortunately, it was terrible in low-light conditions. I find my FX35 to do much better in the dark and the wider zoom is worth the price difference imo.

My sister has an olympus and theother sister has canon ixus 70 (or something). They just came back from holiday with around 500 prints for me to scrutinized. I am very certain mostly they are ok photos. But if I was the one who produced those photos I would commit harakiri :lol:.

Have a look sony t300.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back