Nikon D200?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey! So I have a friend who is selling their D200 and I'm wondering how good of a camera it is! All I have now is a D90, I love it! But I'm wanting to get another camera and my friend is selling it for a great price. But I just don't know much about it. Does anyone own a D200? Do you like it? Is it worth getting? Should I just get another D90 or get the D200??

Hi there

I think the general opinion is that it's a pretty great camera, the D200, but obviously it is quite dated - launched in 2005 - and there are newer models out there. So I guess it falls down to how good a deal you've been offered. There are some reviews of the D200 here and they've all given it a good rating.... Although the downsides mentioned include - it can be a bit power hungry, and one guy had an electrical problem on the camera just out of warranty which cost him £100 to fix.

Hope this helps.

I have had a D200 since Jan. of 06 and it is a fanstastic camera. I just uprgaded to a D700 but I am happy to have the D200 as a backup. If you can get one at a good price then go for it... I know I have seen some on e-bay for around the $500.00 mark (give or take).

When they were new, I had two of them in my bag to back up my D2X bodies. I ended up using the D200 frequently during receptions since it was so much lighter than the D2X. Although I've moved on, I still keep a D200 around so I can use the 10.5 DX fisheye. It's always attached and ready to shoot.

It's actually a great camera, except noise can start building up heavily in the shadows at 800 ISO. As long as you don't terribly underexpose a frame, the photographs are very usable. Lenses driven by the body will eat up battery power quickly. I suggest sticking to AF-S lenses, which have internal focus.

The D300 is far superior in noise performance. I'd suggest that option if you want to spend more.

Yep had a nice D90 setup with great glass and had to sell it at beginning of year to pay medical bills. So 4 months ago started again with a used D200 with 14k clicks for $525.
To go with my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a 55-200vr is all I have so far for the kit.

Just made a decision where I could sell the D200 and get a used D90. Or had to my small'ish kit with also wanting a Sigma 10-20 or other zoom wide for around $300'ish!

Well Decided to keep the D200 another 8months to year and concentrate on building and adding more glass and flash,tripod,ect to my kit first. And wouldn't do that if the D200 was that far behind the D90.

And Yep the D200 likes eat power so have 3 batteries & four 4 gb CF cards for mine. So that is the other difference of the D90,D200 as they use different cards.

I too held onto my D200 for quote a while too, using it as a backup and/or 3rd body w/lens mounted for shooting sports.

i love my d200. Serves me well. How much do they want for it?

The Nikon D200 was announced on 1st November 2005, some three and a half years since Nikon disclose their first prosumer digital SLR, the D100. Nikon's complete Image Processing Engine and continuous firing up to 5 fps. It also uses a lot of electricity to make it look so appealing at every angle. I love looking at it because it looks so good.

The d90 is a a better and far more expensive camera then the d200.

A used d90 is worth around $700, a used D200 around $450.

However it would be a great 2nd body, and has some advantages over the d90 in build quality and lens compatibility.

I like the D200, your D90 has a better sensor and screen, but that's about it.

I eventually want to get a D200, i've always liked how they feel.

my advice is to get D200

And my advice is to get the D90.

Ultimately it comes down to this, do you prefer more quality and a newer often less abused camera for your dollars? Or do you prefer something older, with a lower quality output which has more noise but is otherwise built like a brick ****house?

My D200 has seen things that would have sent a reasonable D90 to the grave, but if my D200 ever died, and I didn't have the money to get a D300 or D700, a D90 would be on my list, definitely not a replacement D200. Cameras have come a long way in 5 years.

ive used both for a while and the d90 is a better camera by far, even if the d200 is built like a rock.

Most reactions

Back