Nikon D3 and D7000 for D800?

Ejazzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys its been a while but I just wanted to get some input on a little dilemma I am having right now

I have a d3 and a d7000 and an ewa marine housing.

I am looking to do more underwater stuff of pelagics and reef fish. I dont shoot that much anymore and want to start getting in the water a lot more (I fish constantly)

I have been wondering if I should sell the both cameras and my two dx lenses and get the D800 and a good housing.

I got a quote to house my d3 and all said and done it was about 7k. I can't justify that...

So how good is this new D800? Is something new going to replace it very soon? is the iq that much better than my D3/D7000? Would it be worth the switch?

Thanks everyone

Ej

Last edited:
Hi Ej - $7K to house your D3 seems a little steep to me. For $4200, you can get an Aquatica D3 housing with dual bulkheads and moisture alarm. But $4.2K is still a lot of money to house a camera.

In my view, it is time to upgrade. In addition to 3x the resolution, the $2797 D800 will give you better signal to noise and more dynamic range (see the DxOMark comparison here). It will also be significantly smaller and lighter.

When you add the cost of an Ikelite housing for $1600 (or an Equinox for $1540) - you'll spend about as much for a first-class housing and the camera upgrade as you would for the Aquatica D3 housing alone.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Ej - $7K to house your D3 seems a little steep to me. For $4200, you can get an Aquatica D3 housing with dual bulkheads and moisture alarm. But $4.2K is still a lot of money to house a camera.

In my view, it is time to upgrade. In addition to 3x the resolution, the $2797 D800 will give you better signal to noise and more dynamic range (see the DxOMark comparison here). It will also be significantly smaller and lighter.

When you add the cost of an Ikelite housing for $1600 (or an Equinox for $1540) - you'll spend about as much for a first-class housing and the camera upgrade as you would for the Aquatica D3 housing alone.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

^ I second this. The D800 has virtually the same image quality as the D4, producing beautiful images; likely a bit better than the D3/D7000.

Off topic but if you decide to sell your D3 I may be interested for the right price (with the exposure to moisture considered)!

EDIT FOR DERP

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
^ I second this. The D800 has the same sensor as the D4, producing beautiful images; likely a bit better than the D3/D7000.
/QUOTE]

What?

I have been looking at the same thing. I have a D800... and love it! It is an awesome camera, and has terrific low light capability and tons of features. Good housing are not cheap... my favorite is the Nauticam... at $3600. Product: dSLR Housings, Nikon D800 | Bluewater Photo & Video The minimum I would consider would be the Ikelite Housing!

And you would still need compatible strobes, arms and a tray (unless you already have these).. which I doubt since you were using an EWA. That is where the added cost comes in. If you just want to shoot ambient light shots... then you don't need these, but you will be VERY limited in what you can shoot. I am currently using a Sealife DC-1400 PRO, and it does a decent job... I just want the advantages a full DSLR and a GOOD housing will give me (with strobes). (Shots are on Flickr in my Sig if you want to check them out)

Personally I would just get GOOD housing for either the D3 or the D7k since you already have those... assuming they are still 100% functional.

The EWA's are junk... not worth the money you pay! Good way to kill a camera! A plastic bag with a lens mount? Not me! lol!

Am I mistaken that the D600/D800/D4 have the same internals? Or did Ken Rockwell lie to me :sad:

We really need an irony/sarcasm smiley. i just lost some minutes of my life reading that trash....

Am I mistaken that the D600/D800/D4 have the same internals? Or did Ken Rockwell lie to me :sad:

Tevo! #1 RULE... Never believe anything KR says! #2 RULE... Don't quote KR, as everybody will laugh at you! ;) lol!

Tevo! #1 RULE... Never believe anything KR says! #2 RULE... Don't quote KR, as everybody will laugh at you! ;) lol!

Duly noted.

The nikon D600 is the best in the world,The nikon D800 is the best in the world but who needs 24 and 36 megapixels.I have the D600 and the D800 they are wonderful cameras.When people ask what camera I recommend I tell them get a D3100 or is the D3200 maybe it was the D600.Ken rockwell:lmao: When consistency counts do read his words or you will be more confused when your done.

From the same KR review:

"You can buy a pair and a spare of D600s for the same price as the D4, giving you 72 MP (24 MP x 3) instead of 16 and 16.5 FPS (5.5 FPS x 3) instead of 10."

Probably the guy was stoned that day..

Most reactions

Back