nikon D3?

I do not undestand why Nikon and Canon do not use these, from reading about them they sound far superior to a CMOS or CCD. There is zero interpretation of color just a three layer sensor. Anyone have an explaination?

Of course there is "interpretation" of coulour, there always will be, since sensor pixels do not give an absolute and "true" colour. This is always done later when the electronic signal is translated into a brightness value for a colour. No difference here between three layered sensors and one-layered bayer pattern sensors. The latter need to interpolate the colour information between pixels with different colour sensitivity though...

As for why Canon and Nikon do not use those 3 layered sensors: Both implemented technologies that work and which they are optimising. Three layered sensors solve some issues but create new problems, I am sure.

So do we have any real example where we can see that images from three layered sensors are really superior to one layered sensors? I agree in principle you should be able to get better colour sharpness/ colour resolution. But are these new sensors there yet?

Oh, and what would that mean to image quality in a world where a one layered CMOS or CCD is not the limiting factor anyway, but the lens is?

From reading various forums and articles you will "discover" the following...

1) Canon CMOS is inherently the best technology. Nothing else can compete for noise, colour and overall image quality, and never will be able to, because Canon have special powers.

2) Actually Canon CMOS produces horrible "plastic"-looking images, Sony sensors producing far more authentic-looking images and therefore you should instead use Nikon, Sony or Pentax.

3) But hang on, if you want good colour rendition the only obvious choice is an Olympus.

4) Foveon technology is vastly superior; Canon, Nikon, Olympus and everyone else must be stupid not to use it.

5) Foveon is massively overrated as are all the others. Fuji technology is the way forward.

See where I'm going with this? ;)

As Alex says, Canon and Nikon (and Olympus and Fuji and pretty much everyone) have technologies that work and which are being continually optimised... if they didn't work, then honestly no-one would be buying them. Some people prefer one to another which is one of the reasons they choose one system over another. It doesn't mean everyone else is doing it wrong.

Maybe there's one thing we can all agree on though... that concept drawing is terrible :lol:

If that were true, Nikon would have really lost what until now was one of its strongest advantages: design. That camera is just horrible!

If that were true, Nikon would have really lost what until now was one of its strongest advantages: design.

Is that one of the strongest points? I actually do not really like the Nikon design ;) I guess Nikon has other strong points though :)

That camera is just horrible!

I agree on that one though ;)

that is a very silly looking camera, IMO. like it was designed for aerodynamics or something ridiculous like that. If it's waterproof or something, whooaaa okay then. but i doubt it.

pretty sure that pic is not the magical d3 of the future.

it kinda makes me mad that nikon is just sitting around while canon keeps releasing new pro body's and losing a bunch of pros in the process, of course they arent actually sitting around doing nothing but it sure is taking a long time to release a new pro body

This is one of the main reasons I will switch to canon if I ever get to the point of getting paid to work, that and their pro glass is top notch and plenty to choose from. They just keep producing better and better bodies, especially for the pro's, I would say the d2x is a bit dated! Canon's new eos1d-mkIII looks very promising, seem to be focusing less on megapixels and more on refining the camera, as well as live view lcd :) (though I find it weird to use an lcd to frame anymore lol)

I'm still waiting to see what the new Kodak filter does for digital and if the D3 has that bad boy in it? Should be very cool and well worth the wait.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25434

d3front-001.jpg

One interesting feature is continuous live view on PC when Camera Control is used.

Not that I need it but, this camera may make a gearhead out of me.

Can't wait. B&H has stopped taking advance orders, about the 2nd day after release of the news. I for one am looking forward to having that bad boy in my hands!

Most reactions

Back