Nikon D300 vs Canon EOS 5D?

bisp21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know most people out there are either partial to Canon or Nikon, but I am wanting to get an unbiased positions on what a person preference would be if they had no ties to either camera (mean no lenses, etc) and was given the choice to take either camera. Starting from scratch with nothing...

Your purpose in getting either camera is to have an all around camera allowing you the option to shoot still images, action shots, nature, landscapes, architechtural, weddings, etc. (basically anything and everything camera)

Nikon D300 or Canon EOS 5D

What would you choose and why?

deffinatly tagging along :)

I know most people out there are either partial to Canon or Nikon, but I am wanting to get an unbiased positions on what a person preference would be if they had no ties to either camera (mean no lenses, etc) and was given the choice to take either camera. Starting from scratch with nothing...

Your purpose in getting either camera is to have an all around camera allowing you the option to shoot still images, action shots, nature, landscapes, architechtural, weddings, etc. (basically anything and everything camera)

Well...
As far as photography is concerned, you can't go wrong with either brand. However, it's an established fact that owning a Nikon will improve your sex life.

This is almost impossible to answer, since all of us usually only own one of those cameras, so nobody is really in the position to compare both.

My advice, first decide if you want full frame, or a smaller format.

Stupid question if you want to know which one is a better camera. There are pros with D300's and ones with 5D's, there 2 different cameras. Everyone has difference aspects of a camera they appreciate the most and thus that decides which one to get.

For an example. If i was a professional sports photographer i would be all over the D300. If all i did all day was work in a studio i would probably chose the 5D.

Well...
As far as photography is concerned, you can't go wrong with either brand. However, it's an established fact that owning a Nikon will improve your sex life.

He is forgetting to add that the 5D can do that, AND can do your homework also.

Go with the 5D

Wait! Isn't the 5D a professional camera and the D300 more or less built for advanced amateurs?

Wait! Isn't the 5D a professional camera and the D300 more or less built for advanced amateurs?

The 1d and D3 are professional cameras

Both the 5D and D300 are just a step bellow. What makes the difference in pro cameras is the body's ruggedness and its more user friendly to professionals. But these cameras will all take around the same looking pics

Doubt it, I'm sure there are pros out there using D300's as backups.

If price isn't a concern, there is probably going to be a replacement for a 5D soon, at least I know a lot of people are hoping that, but either way, both are great.

No the EOS-1 series (1D MIII, 1Ds MIII) is Canon's pro line. The 5D is a full frame top end prosumer camera.

Owning my D200, the sex life is much improved, and... I can now fly. But out of all honesty, I am a Nikon fan, always have been, cannons don't feel right to me. My mother has been shooting with Nikon's for a while so I kept with them.

Well...

:lmao: 'course the sad thing is its SO true... I bought my Nikon and the very next day my wife ravaged me. She said if I had bought the Canon she would have divorced me. True story. <chuckle>

I've had Nikons for a while now (5 years). When I went to go buy my first one, I did a lot of research and ultimately determined that the Nikon and Canon offerings were nearly the same overall. I wouldn't be surprised if you found a similar situation now. Obviously, do your research. I have not a clue. I'm a Nikon person now and that's where I'll stay.

I can say that the two cam makers do make different feeling cameras... you should definitely try both and see which feels better to you.

In the end, I ultimately decided to go Nikon because a buddy of mine had one (and so did his dad), and so not only would we be able to share equipment, but there is this lens hand-me-down chain going on between us that keeps me in fresh glass all the time. lol

I do personally feel the Nikons feel better. I also like the way the cameras feel like they are very no-nonsense. Feels like a tool, not a gadget. Totally personal opinion though.

I use my D300 for pro work, FYI. As many people will tell you, really any cam can be used for pro work... it's a matter of how you use it and what the type of work requires. (just so happens my work requires very high resolution, so a D40 wouldn't work for me... but that's just me).

So consider what your friends have, consider what you need, consider how they feel, and then make a decision. Good luck.

I'm a nikon fan, I own the D300, but in reality, this is nothing more than the old Ford/Chevy debate; overall, both cameras are very similar, and it's matter of weighing the pros and cons to decide which is "righter" for you. That's really something only you can do.

I would choose a D300 because it would be silly for me to buy a Canon since none of my thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of Nikon lenses would fit on it.

But that is me :)

Most reactions

Back