Nikon D300 vs D700 which one?

Seems to be, look at previous DX bodies.

F4 was a pro camera. The grip was removeable. F6 is a pro camera. Yes, they're both film cameras, but still..

honestly though, who cares what label it falls under? It's still got pro-level specs...

I was actually arguing more in favor of the D300 not being a consumer grade, but you're right - whatever :)

I just got back from shooting a gig at a local theater almost entirely at ISO 6400 with my 50mm f/1.4 and 80-200 f/2.8.

They were both wide open all the time, the 50mm at f/2 for sharpness a couple times, and I used the 24-120 for the group shot, but that was ISO400 and I had profoto's on me, so it was easy. My shutter speeds were around 1/40th-90th of a second all day.

It was impossible to have gotten away with that on anything less then a 5DII, D3 or D700. A D300 or 50D would have failed.

My 80-200 was too slow much of the time it was so dark.

Did anybody bother to find out what the OP wanted to shoot mainly?

If it's birds/wildlife or cheating spouses then the D300's crop sensor and it's 1.5X on zoom lenses is likely what the Dr. ordered. The reverse if a wide angle is wanted. With good technique the images will be great either way.

Did anybody bother to find out what the OP wanted to shoot mainly?

If it's birds/wildlife or cheating spouses then the D300's crop sensor and it's 1.5X on zoom lenses is likely what the Dr. ordered. The reverse if a wide angle is wanted. With good technique the images will be great either way.
Precisely why I keep both at hand. Well noted Mike.

Wow thanks for all the help guys, so many responses from only a couple of hours. Basically I am trying to shoot clothes for a fashion store. Nothing will be worn on models, just clothes hanging from a rack or wall. The place has terrible lighting... Ive tried using flashes, Hanging lights, almost everything. I'm not really sure how to get the effect but I want to upgrade either way. Lenses isnt really a problem for me since I only have one which is the 50mm 1.8. I tried using the lens that came with the kit but it was terrible.... I couldnt get the sharp looking effect under any ISO or lighting. I am not very skilled at all and im trying to learn it as I go but It just seems that the D60 isnt cutting it. I am basically trying to get this effect but he was using a D3 with a 50mm 1.4. Any help would be great thanks!!!

34qqwch.jpg

You don't need a D300/D700 for that. The Exif says f1.4 @ ISO200 with a shutter speed of 1/25th. All speeds you can get with your D60 and a good lens.

For that point of view you would need 35mm 1.8D (gives you more of the 50mm view on a DX) but it would't be as fast, still would work great.

OR if you wanted the faster one get a 50mm 1.4.

Wow thanks for all the help guys, so many responses from only a couple of hours. Basically I am trying to shoot clothes for a fashion store. Nothing will be worn on models, just clothes hanging from a rack or wall. The place has terrible lighting... Ive tried using flashes, Hanging lights, almost everything. I'm not really sure how to get the effect but I want to upgrade either way. Lenses isnt really a problem for me since I only have one which is the 50mm 1.8. I tried using the lens that came with the kit but it was terrible.... I couldnt get the sharp looking effect under any ISO or lighting. I am not very skilled at all and im trying to learn it as I go but It just seems that the D60 isnt cutting it. I am basically trying to get this effect but he was using a D3 with a 50mm 1.4. Any help would be great thanks!!!

34qqwch.jpg

I'm sorry but this just made me laugh. I am a noob, but if you are shooting clothes invest more on lighting, and glass rather then a D700. I would say your D60, or maybe a D90, great glass, and the rest on flashes and a lighting set up.

So im taking that a 50mm 1.4 should do the trick for me? what kind of lighting suggestions do you guys have?

What you really need is a book called Light: Science and Magic. You already have all the camera and lens you need.

Photoshop would help but elements should do just fine.

And hey, it's much cheaper than a D300 or a D700!!

Hahahaha
But no built in grip!

Which is an advantage to some to not need to carry all that extra weight. :)

I own the D700 as well and its not only a pro camera in designation but in results and feel as well as features and abilities.

It' has been raining here for several weeks. I lasted about a week then took the 24-70 and 70-200 out for a couple E-sessions. I would not want to see the results of the damage to a camera/lens combo that was not completely weather sealed. I was soaked to the bone as were my clients, but the camera never even slowed down nor missed a beat.

BTW, I do own the battery grip and the EN-EL4a batteries that come in a D3/D3x as well. Optically, a D3 and D700 are 100% identical.

Clothing product photography? That just made this thread kind of funny..

Lighting is the key. You can save money and just use regular lamps, maybe take two and point them at the shirt at different angles to get the lighting you want. Experiment. Stop the lens down to at least f/4 (if not more, but I assume you want to background out of focus) and you'll get more detail because more of the wrinkles will be in the focus zone. Your pic looks underexposed too. And unless you're going to be using a strobe, Get a solid tripod. That should help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back