Nikon D300 vs D700 which one?

blythe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a D60 and want to upgrade to either a D300 or D700. What are the major difference between the 2? I was using the comparison sheet from another site and they seem to be almost similar. I am trying to justify if the price is worth going to the D700

thanks for all the help

The D700 is a Full Frame Sensor.
What that means for you is you will need to buy new lesnses if you currently own only DX lenses.

The D700 has a fantastic ISO range, this is only important if you do alot of work in low light enviroments.

As well the D300 is still classed as a Consumer level Camera while the D700 is in the pro class.
If you can have both go for it, the D300 is a great backup to the D700

What that means for you is you will need to buy new lesnses if you currently own only DX lenses.

The D700 has a fantastic ISO range, this is only important if you do alot of work in low light enviroments.

As well the D300 is still classed as a Consumer level Camera while the D700 is in the pro class.

Both? Why your at it, just get the whole Nikon line up! Grab a D90, D300, D700, and then just splurge for a D3x.... lol maybe even throw in a D60 for fun!

Both? Why your at it, just get the whole Nikon line up! Grab a D90, D300, D700, and then just splurge for a D3x.... lol maybe even throw in a D60 for fun!

:lol:
OP already has the D60...but you're right...2 of a good thing is...what...2 good things?:lmao:

I know this may sound silly to some, but the reason is that if the OP is looking at these camers it is most likely for more than just a hobby,

If they are thinking of going pro at any level a good backup is equaly important as you main body.
You need to have at least 2 bodies and you need to be able to switch back and forth easily. Swiching from a D700 to a D60 as a backup would be a pain, the menus are different the shooting controls are not the same.

I do use a D700/D300 setup and am very happy with it, the accessories work with both cameras as well do all my lenses.

Well, I love my D700, but stepping up to FF is a big commitment w/ regards to lenses. The nikon trifecta, is easily many k in lenses, but you won't be disappointed if you can throw the money at it.

I've got a D80 / D300 / D700 setup. I'll probably sell the D80 sooner or later. One thing I did when I only had the D80 was to buy only FX lenses (I've added one more to the arsenal) with the intention of possibly go full frame at some point. The two exceptions are the 12-24mm f/4 & 55-200mm VR. I will keep the D300 because I like using it with long glass.

My suggestion is to get either, but the lenses would be a priority. Unfortunately you will have to get one of the bodies first to utilize AF and metering of any FX lens.

Chicken or Egg? :biggrin:

D300 and D700 are both 'prosumer' bodies, which one just depends on your needs. D700 has the best high ISO performance, but the D90 and D300 are both excellent as well.

D300 and D700 are both 'prosumer' bodies, which one just depends on your needs. D700 has the best high ISO performance, but the D90 and D300 are both excellent as well.

I would definitely say the D700 is a pro body. W/ weather sealing and cost as determinate factors, its the second best in the lineup, and a true pro body.

Not to sidetrack but the D100, D200 and D300 are weather sealed as well.

Traditionally Nikon has used this format:

DX Pro
DXX & DXXXX Consumer
DXXX Prosumer

Last edited:
I don't know. I find it tough to consider the D700 a Prosumer body.

Even Nikon calls the D700 a Pro body, the deciding factor is that the beep is off as a default :)

I don't know. I find it tough to consider the D700 a Prosumer body.
But that is what it is, you will be able to find pros that use it is portrait shoots beacause the want all of the power of the D3 but at the price of the D700 and the weight of the D700. But it would be hard to find a SI shooter with a D700 instead of a D3.

You guys can label 'em as you like, but the D300 / D700 combo is a great pairing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back