Nikon d300 vs. Nikon d7000 HELP!

The D7000 is a GREAT camera. Can't compare it to the D300 because I've never used one. Entry-level or not, it's still a good camera :lol:

Thing is, once you pick up a D300 and spend a few minutes playing with it, the D7000 will feel like a toy afterwards. If I was accustomed to shooting with a D300, stepping down to the lighter, smaller, more plastic D7000 would be a VERY tough move.

OP, I say wait a bit longer, I have a feeling the D400 is going to be an amazing camera. I also have a bad feeling it's going to cost somewhere around $2,200-2,600, because of the predicted $4k cost of the D800.

Even though I know it won't happen, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the D400 come out as a pro body style with the built in grip (ala D3 series), just with a DX sensor. There really is a need for a camera like that in the sports world, but I don't see it happening unless they release an additional DX model above the D400.

I disagree. I shot with a D200 for about two years, then upgraded to the D7000. I can't complain. Sure, without the grip, it was a "toy" compared to my D200. However, with the grip on, and a 80-200 mounted, it's a great camera. It performs well, has much better ISO capability, etc. Granted, it's not a full magnesium-alloy body, as well weather sealed, and a few other minor things. But to be honest, I am glad i chose the D7000 over the D300s (that's what i was comparing initially).

The D7000 is a GREAT camera. Can't compare it to the D300 because I've never used one. Entry-level or not, it's still a good camera :lol:

Thing is, once you pick up a D300 and spend a few minutes playing with it, the D7000 will feel like a toy afterwards. If I was accustomed to shooting with a D300, stepping down to the lighter, smaller, more plastic D7000 would be a VERY tough move.

OP, I say wait a bit longer, I have a feeling the D400 is going to be an amazing camera. I also have a bad feeling it's going to cost somewhere around $2,200-2,600, because of the predicted $4k cost of the D800.

Even though I know it won't happen, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the D400 come out as a pro body style with the built in grip (ala D3 series), just with a DX sensor. There really is a need for a camera like that in the sports world, but I don't see it happening unless they release an additional DX model above the D400.

I disagree. I shot with a D200 for about two years, then upgraded to the D7000. I can't complain. Sure, without the grip, it was a "toy" compared to my D200. However, with the grip on, and a 80-200 mounted, it's a great camera. It performs well, has much better ISO capability, etc. Granted, it's not a full magnesium-alloy body, as well weather sealed, and a few other minor things. But to be honest, I am glad i chose the D7000 over the D300s (that's what i was comparing initially).

Performance wise it's an amazing camera. I personally could upgrade to it with no issues, because I shoot with a D80. However, I've used a D300s a few times, and shot all day with a friend's D700 once, and it was VERY hard to go back to my tiny D80 after that. If I shot every day with a larger camera, I wouldn't be able to make the switch comfortably I don't think. It's like going from a suburban to a prius.

Performance wise it's an amazing camera. I personally could upgrade to it with no issues, because I shoot with a D80. However, I've used a D300s a few times, and shot all day with a friend's D700 once, and it was VERY hard to go back to my tiny D80 after that. If I shot every day with a larger camera, I wouldn't be able to make the switch comfortably I don't think. It's like going from a suburban to a prius.

I just had to agree.

D7000 is like two generations newer than the D200, so it's almost unavoidably going to be a better performer in a lot of ways, but the D200 is going to be more rugged from the start and will likely have a few more features and physical capabilities. Mind you, I'm talking partially out of my butt here because I haven't done a direct comparison because I am not in the D7000 market, but this is generally how it goes.

I've played with a D7000 a bit and I was VERY impressed with the camera, the optical quality out of it, etc. It's a REALLY nice camera. I have to say that I was kinda floored by how comparable it was to my D300, and how in some cases it excelled over it.

That said, going from a D300 to a D7000 is kinda crazy. Overall I'd consider it a lateral move. Wait for the D400. I expect it will be within the next 12-18 months.

Rita,

You say you photograph sports events and that you are not interested in full frame, so with that in mind I would humbly suggest you stay with your D300 for bit. The D7000, great camera that it is, is not designed to be a fast sport photographer's tool. Your D300 likely has better autofocus, a deeper buffer and after frame rate. Don't forget the better weather sealing if you work outside in unpredictable conditions as well as the stronger body and better button layout. The Nikon D220 - D300 - D700 series cameras are joys to work with for a working photographer.

"My choices have always been perfect but when I saw that the d7000 has video and the pixels are larger? I wondered if it would be worth my time inregards to offering video".

Remember that these two cameras are not really video cameras. Video is just one feature in them, and you don't need this feature quite as important as the camera's performance will offer you. You have no problem whichever of these cameras you choose because both can take better pictures at their respective top capacities. The issue is not which of the two can perform better. It is a matter of preference and personal choice, however, if you're really serious about photography and will dedicate yourself to the ways of how to take great photographs, you don't have to worry about your D7000 or your D300s. Comparing the two cameras on the other hand will not fare with your needs. Both cameras can give you great results for your job.

Most reactions

Back