Nikon D300s released

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question I ask is, "Why even bother linking to THE PACT if you're going to act like this?" You were acting like a D-bag with your attempts to provoke,and calling somebody's reaction to your provocations "ridculous" shows your petty side quite well. You ought to be ashamed of yourself,acting like such an arsewipe.

The Pact deals with behavior of forum members during critique of actual photographs. It also has little to do with the type of language used in said critiques but focuses more on whether the critique is informed and of good quality. Jerry's post didn't violate The Pact (not that flame-type stuff is acceptable or that I am condoning it), The Pact doesn't apply to this thread.

The question I ask is, "Why even bother linking to THE PACT if you're going to act like this?" You were acting like a D-bag with your attempts to provoke,and calling somebody's reaction to your provocations "ridculous" shows your petty side quite well. You ought to be ashamed of yourself,acting like such an arsewipe.

I was stating facts, supported by links, if his little mind could not accept it, thats not my problem... his reactions WERE funny.

Now if you feel the need to start name calling, guess who is being petty, and with 49 posts, I don't see YOU contributing anything to this place except protecting another baby. ;)

If you do not like it here... the doors to the left. Don't let it hit you in the butt on the way out.

I can't believe this forum has found, yet again, a way to degenerate a conversation into a kids' quarrel. It's shameful, really. Who freaking cares if the D300s is professional or more akin to a Kodak Fiesta instead?

Anyway... A question for those who still want to discuss this new camera: does anybody know anything about its actual performance vis-à-vis the D300? Are there any independent tests already available?

It really looks like it's just a ssssslightly faster (exposures/sec) D300 with video and some memory options.

BTW, I think the pact applies to all things really... not just critique. That being said, everyone is human and we all have bad days.

It really looks like it's just a ssssslightly faster (exposures/sec) D300 with video and some memory options.
I personally don't care about those two features, but they don't bother me either. I would, however, be interested to know if there are actual differences in terms of image quality. Has the ISO performance improved, for example?

Anyway... A question for those who still want to discuss this new camera: does anybody know anything about its actual performance vis-à-vis the D300? Are there any independent tests already available?

Of course not, at least not yet. Real tests, that is those of any real value, take time and must be done on a true production sample. They aren't valid if done on a pre-production sample. That's why all of the early reports from responsible journalists are labeled "Preview", "First Look", or something similar. It will likely be 2-6 weeks before any valid tests are published.

BTW, the "distraction" has kept me from following this thread with any detail, but it seems that one significant improved feature in the D300s, over the D300 and most or all previous Nikon DSLRs, is its bracketing. The number of shots and the EV steps are substantially increased. Anyone doing real HDR should be quite interested in the D300s with its excellent sensor with exceptionaly wide dynamic range combined with a wide bracket range.

Uh, I think the PACT does apply to this thread.

A Committment to Community
I am a part of this community and therefore a stakeholder in it and will act as such.
Anyone who acts shoddily on this forum is a detriment to this community. I will take it upon myself to make polite comments to those people and (in extreme cases) report them to the moderators if appropriate.
I will actively participate in trying to redirect discussions to improve the quality of discourse.
I will actively suggest and promote changes to the community to make it better.
Response to Smarm (Antagonism/Ingratiation/etc.) (I like the word "smarm")
If someone rails at a response where I am adhering to this pact, I will point them to this pact and suggest that they read it.

Somebody was being smarmy....and still is. Him calling another member a "baby" is a good example. He said I was merely "protecting another baby". That's another example of a long-time poster acting "smarmily" or antagonistically,as mentioned in THE PACT. A person's post count has very little to do with common sense,or courtesy, as Jerry has well-demonstrated.
Jerry was acting shoddily, ridiculing another member,and being a provacateur. I merely called him on his hypocrisy. Like a lot of long-term members, he seems to confuse post count with experience or good manners. I pointed him to the PACT,and asked him to bring his actual on-forum behavior into line with it.

To improve the discourse, like the PACT suggests, I mentioned his unfounded and ill-thought-out criticism of the D300s and its SD card slot as being an "utterly stupid" decision on Nikon's part. Many professional journalists will welcome the SD card slot's ability to allow the camera to wirelessly upload images DIRECTLY from the camera to a web server; anybody experienced in photojournalism would understand in about a half-second that the ability to have a camera that can connect to 10,000 + Wi-Fi hotspots means that deadline news shots could be covered with a D300 without the need for a laptop...yet he ridiculed the decision as "utterly stupid", based on a lack of experience with transmitting photos on deadline. A camera that,with an inexpensive Wi-Fi enabled SD card can connect wirelessly upload photos and video, will be give a good,long look by many professionals in the photojournalism field. Nikon's decision to include an SD card slot makes this camera more-professionally desirable to purchasing mangers and individual photographers than say, the D700 or Canon 50D bodies.

As the PACT states, "I will actively participate in trying to redirect discussions to improve the quality of discourse."I did that by bringing into the discussion the fact that some SD cards are Wi-Fi enabled. I decided to call somebody who was acting smarmily,and antagonizing people,and laughing at their responses and calling their responses "ridiculous". I think his response to me speaks volumes about how self-important he seems to think he is to this community. Calling the guy who he laughed at and ridiculed "baby" is really not very classy.

Why not admit that the SD card slot's addition is actually an important addition? Like it says, when you talk about things at which you have little experience, admit it; newspaper and magazine photogs who need to transmit from hotspots will LOVE the D300s and its ability to use Wi-Fi enabled SD cards. It becomes a practical feature that thousands of PJ's will like having,since it will allow them to leave the laptop behind if they wish and never worry about their laptop's security or battery status when it comes time to send the selects in to the editors.

Last edited:
^^^

If you ask me, which I know you didn't, and I doubt you would, but...

Jerry certainly wasn't gentle with this thread, but he was far from attacking anyone here.

I just read through the whole thread again and the closest thing to an attack was MAYBE implying that anyone buying a camera with video on it was a lemming... and I'd say my interpretation was stretching it there, because really it seemed like a joke.

Honestly, Derrel, it looks like you're just tweaked because Jerry was asserting that the D300 was not a pro camera. "Professional" around here is a loaded word and people DO get upset when folks imply that they may or may not be a pro. Folks also get pretty bristly when their cameras are put into a light of anything less than godlike. It's normal, it's understandable... you spent $xxxx on that thing and you love it, and someone diminishing it in ANY way is irritating as hell... even if they're right... perhaps even particularly if they are right.

Was Jerry pushing your buttons a bit? Maybe. But honestly, you let him do it. Don't get so worked up about what ANYONE says about how good or professional any item is. If it works for you and makes you happy, it's a good item. Good enough. My mom has a D60. I think it's a raging piece of ****. She loves it. So be it.

Jerry thinks the SD card is stupid. So what? Does it hurt you, personally? No. You may argue the point... you may even argue him down from his position... but just getting bent out of of shape like it's some personal attack isn't doing you any good.

I have a D300. The thing is a freakin' tank. It makes my D100 look like a toy. Sure, the D700 is an even better camera and SURE I'd love to have one and SURE I'm jealous as hell of people who have them... but that doesn't diminish the capabilities of what my D300 will do. The thing is still a freakin' tank.

Again, it's normal, but... come on... right? :)

When Nikon makes a D3000 type camera with the 920,000 dot 3 inch screen and HD .mov video, i'll be excited about video.

Right now though, nikon's video sucks because of the compression. and really, the video that comes out of the 5D is actually pretty good, it's just the ergonomics of it that are bad. But hey, it's a still camera, so whatever.

I really like what's in the D300s, and IMO it's what the D300 should have been from the start. At least with the info button, vertical horizon, and center button on the D-pad.

I really want to like the D3000, really I do. I might buy one though when it's on craigslist for $300 and it will replace my F100 as my point and shoot. i just wish it had a higher res screen.

The question I have is, why do you show up here and almost immediately start calling people douche bags?

Jerry didn't say anything in this thread that could even come close to your sophomoric name calling in terms of severity yet you want to lambaste him for his behavior?

The question I seem to always have towards new equipment.

Will these new features help me take better pictures?
In this case I would have to say that it would be no different than the D300 for me.
The good news. The d00 will come down in price now!
I don't get why all these amazing new features are that big of a deal.
Ansel Adams did not even know what was on his film till he processed it days later!!!

I was stating facts, supported by links, if his little mind could not accept it, thats not my problem... his reactions WERE funny.

Now if you feel the need to start name calling, guess who is being petty, and with 49 posts, I don't see YOU contributing anything to this place except protecting another baby. ;)

If you do not like it here... the doors to the left. Don't let it hit you in the butt on the way out.

+1 I have to agree with you.

Jerry didn't say anything in this thread that could even come close to your sophomoric name calling in terms of severity yet you want to lambaste him for his behavior?

i'd have to disagree with you here. jerry was clearing flame baiting and blatantly flaming based on incorrect information which he continues to spread. on top of his elitist attitude i'd have to agree with new guy.

by the way... no matter how many times i click on that link, it 404s

I think the point of the D300s being out is well known enough, maybe it's time for this thread to be closed unless everyone can play nice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back