Nikon D300s released

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... the same FPS count (when both use the battery grip) ...

sorry if this sounds noobish but...

how does a grip help the FPS ? :D

They aren't just grips, they are battery grips. When using 8 AA's it gives it enough boost to bring the D300's FPS from 6 fps to 8 fps.

Here you go:

Last edited by a moderator:
.... the same FPS count (when both use the battery grip) ...

They aren't just grips, they are battery grips. When using 8 AA's it gives it enough boost to bring the D300's FPS from 6 fps to 8 fps.

Here you go:

yeah battery grips i know :D

having more power gets you 2 more FPS .. that i dont :D
i wonder if that will work on a d60 with grip?

nope. only MB-D10 has capability to utilize both batteries at once. the MB-D80 will only use the second battery once the first battery has drained. the generic grips for the D40/50/60/70/3000/5000 are the same way.

Here you go:

yeah battery grips i know :D

having more power gets you 2 more FPS .. that i dont :D

You know, I am not completely sure why. :lol: I do know that it doesn't work like that on a D60 though. The D60 grip is only meant to be a backup battery and to make it less tiny.

I guess the normal battery isn't strong enough to provide the faster fps on it;s own so it needs extra power. It doesn't add to the fps if you use Nikon batteries unless you use the D3 batteries which are expensive. I use 8 rechargeable AA's to get the FPS boost.

Can someone else be more specific as to why a battery pack can add to the fps other than adding more power?

.... curse nikon for not designing the D40/50/60/70/3000/5000 to be compatible with the MB-D10 >____>

now i remember why i wanted a d300 then xD

.... curse nikon for not designing the D40/50/60/70/3000/5000 to be compatible with the MB-D10 >____>

now i remember why i wanted a d300 then xD

D300 w/ grip :thumbup:

DSC_0005.jpg

D60 w/ grip :thumbdown:

2313570474_e16eb25e85.jpg

D300: Hefty hefty hefty
D60: Wimpy wimpy wimpy

... and i actually provided 3 links from Nikon's REAL site...

OK, leaving out all the other inflammatory crap in your post, saying that Nikon's Canuck site isn't a real Nikon site is just plain, bigot, wrong. It's just as real as all the others; might as well say Nikon's Canadian customers aren't real customers. Can't really say much about that so I'm just going to shake my head in disgust.

Second, you're placing WAY too much emphasis on how a camera is marketed. The D300/s is a professional grade camera (especially for those who appreciate the extra reach of DX sensors like wildlife photographers), but Nikon doesn't market it as such because it then sets a lower price entry point for a "professional" camera. By making it look like their cheapest "professional" body is the D700, they make more money off folks who just walk into Ritz Camera and say "I want a professional body - gimme your cheapest" while still being able to say to the "in-crowd", hey look not just our "professional" bodies have that great pro quality.

In other words, no one gives a **** what other people classify your camera as, nor in the end do they give a **** about what camera you even used. What people DO care about is the final image you can produce, and if you like your D300 and you feel like the D300 meets your needs then that's all that really matters.

Is the D300s supposed to render better images than the regular D300? If not, there's no point in upgrading....

:lol: Nikon. I swear.

"...and dual CF and SD memory card slots to offer new opportunities to explore creative imaging."

Arguably the MOST useful feature of this camera (and not an earth-shattering one to justify a new release, btw) is that you can dual-store your images (for backup) (think RAID1 for cameras), or you can spill over onto the next card if you run out of space on the first.

And they describe it as ... "and dual CF and SD memory card slots to offer new opportunities to explore creative imaging." :lol:

I swear Nikon does some of the stupidest things.

This whole camera is just "Oh the D300... now with video and 2 memory sticks!" I mean there are a couple nice-nice things, but this is far from super exciting.

Will the new camera save a mirror copy of the images to both SD and CF card at the same time? For someone who use the camera as work tools maybe a good feature. But of course not for "explore creative imaging" :lol:

CRAP!

The outcome here over whether or not the D300 is a "PROFESSIONAL" camera is incredibly important to me and one that must be taken extremely seriously.

Please understand, that whomever wins in this debate will immediately either improve or totally devalue the D300 that I have at home.

Please also understand, that I made a significant amount of money with my D300 last year, and if you deem it no longer a PROFESSIONAL camera, I will no longer be able to use it in that way, and in fact, likely I will be arrested for making the attempt. Please decide carefully!

Please also understand that my ego, my penis size, and my entire LIFE will be diminished if you choose to label the D300 a non-professional item.

PLEASE DECIDE WITH CAUTION!!!!

Translation: Grow up and get over it.

"Professional" is either a totally unexciting term in that it means "you get paid" or it's a totally subjective one and used as a marketing ploy to make you feel like **** for not buying the more expensive toy.

Nikon deems the D300 non-pro. Whah. Who cares. As we have seen, we have people shooting excellent images (and even getting paid for them) with everything from D3Xs to pinhole cameras. What is pro or not has zero bearing on anything other than your ego. All that matters is you have equipment adequate to do the job and the skills necessary to employ it.

Anything else is just noise.

I believe it makes no difference. The first camera to do this was the D300 followed by the D700. Incidentally, they both use the same grip... the MB-D10.

You get the extra FPS by using either AA batteries (which don't last that long), a Nikon EN-EL4a battery (which you also need to buy a charger for and costs your first born when the 2 are bought together) or you can buy a Photix EN-EL4a clone that comes with an integrated charger, lasts as long as (or possibly longer than a Nikon EN-EL-4a battery) and pay $50+shipping.

I went the Photix way. I use ONE battery for a full day's worth of shooting a wedding and have about 35-40% battery power left when I check the next day.

Will the new camera save a mirror copy of the images to both SD and CF card at the same time? For someone who use the camera as work tools maybe a good feature. But of course not for "explore creative imaging" :lol:

LOL... yes, it can copy an image to both cards or copy the RAW to one side and JPG to the other.

Honestly, I think the 2 card format is UTTERLY stupid. Select ONE format or the other... if someone wants to use this feature now they are forced to carry around *2* formats of storage. I have nothing against one or the other... but make them at least THE SAME. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back