Nikon D3100 suitable telephoto lens ??

steven39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the same lens and the same camera. It works but there is no autofocus capabilities either on the lens or the body. It is one of Nikon's most affordable lenses buut be aware of its limitations namely:

1) no AF on entry level Nikon DSLRs (i.e. D3000/D5000 series as well as much older models without an in-body focus motor);
2) it has no VR necessitating the use of a tripod or monopod most of the time (unless you really have steady hands);
3) needs a lot of light resulting to the use of low shutter speeds and going back to #2. Increasing ISO helps a bit though;
4) IQ is soft wide open and at longer focal lengths. Aperture values of f8 to f11 seem to be the sweet spot.

Should this not suit your needs, then you may want to consider the following lenses:

1) 55-300mm AF-S VR (there is also a 200mm version available) or
2) 70-300mm AF-S VR

Do note that the prices of these lenses is around 4-5 times the price of the 70-300mm AF G.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, thought it seemed too good at that price.

What jrizal said is spot on. The 55-200 AF-S is very reasonable and is very good. Look for lenses that say AF-S to be sure they will work properly with your D3100

If you have the money... Look for a refurbished Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ($350US.. i would assume you can find it in the UK also). It's about the best 70-x00 lens you can get before you move up to the f/2.8's.

What jrizal said is spot on. The 55-200 AF-S is very reasonable and is very good. Look for lenses that say AF-S to be sure they will work properly with your D3100

I have this lens and this is my go to zoom for the time being because of its versatility. (Still saving for something better.:)) Also, the price is also very reasonable which is a little over half the price of the 55-300mm.

If you have the money... Look for a refurbished Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR ($350US.. i would assume you can find it in the UK also). It's about the best 70-x00 lens you can get before you move up to the f/2.8's.

Arguably the best or simply the "go to" lens in its class. Anything better will cost you 4 or 5 times the cost of the D3100. In fact this lens is what I'm saving for and I can only dream of owning a 70-200mm 2.8. :)

If budget is really a concern, the Sigma and Tamron 70-300mm lenses are also options albeit a bit higher in price. Do note the following though:

1) Be sure to get the motorized version for Nikon for either lens so you can have autofocus capability;
2) IQ of all three lenses (Nikkor included) is more or less the same;
3) Like the Nikon, these lenses do not have VR;
4) Both the Sigma and Tamron has a macro switch which is nifty add-on feature. Some would scoff at this though.

Most reactions

Back