Nikon d3200 does not take pictures sometimes

Nikonuser82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a complete beginner with DSLR camera that I purchased about a month ago. The problem that I experience is that my Nikon d3200 does not take pictures sometimes. Just now I turned it on, put it in A mode and when I hit the button to take a picture nothing happens. The camera makes a quiet clicking noise and nothing. I tried portrait and auto modes - nothing. Then after turning it on and off a few times and trying different modes it finally started shooting.
This happened for the second time in a month and since I am a complete newbie I am not sure if it is the camera that is defective or maybe I am doing something wrong.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

It could be that it is not locking focus. Look through the viewfinder and make sure focus locks. This may not happen unless you point it at something with contrast. A white wall for example is not a good target

Exactly what I was thinking. If the camera is in AF and can't lock focus, it won't do ...anything except try to focus for a second, and then wait for you to point it at something with contrast.

It depends what AF mode is active.

AF-S (single focus), and AF-A are focus-priority AF modes. If focus has not been achieved, the shutter will not release.
AF-C (continuous focus) mode can be configured as a shutter-priority mode and will release the shutter regardless if focus has been achieved or not, and as a focus-priority mode.

See pages 35 - 43 of the D3200 Reference Manual. The complete D3200 Reference Manual is a PDF file on the software disc that was included with the camera.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the 3200 but i have a 3100 and in the menu you can enable the focus beep. It will omit a beep sound when focus is achieved. If you hear the beep and press all the way down on the shutter release button and it still doesnt take a picture something else is going on

I'm not sure about the 3200 but i have a 3100 and in the menu you can enable the focus beep. It will omit a beep sound when focus is achieved. If you hear the beep and press all the way down on the shutter release button and it still doesnt take a picture something else is going on

I have a similar problem, but even after hearing the beep and with the green dot showing on the viewfinder, my camera won't take the picture... I have a D5100. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Thks in advance

Is the camera mode in autofocus still but you have switched to manual mode on the lens? Sometimes it wont take the pic if the focus isn't perfect unless you have the focus switched to manual on BOTH the body and lens.

Reset camera and try again.

For me even in manual mode it doesn,t work sometimes...

Then send it in to Nikon Canada service and have them check it over.

It is hard to troubleshoot a problem remotely and with an insufficient problem description.

I have been experiencing the same problem! Did you ever find out what's going on?

Seems to be a day for them - number three that I know of.
Only one post from OP, maybe a fauxtog. Resurrector is also first-time poster.

I usually put the camera in manual and focus by hand when this happends. Unfortunately, with an APS-C Nikon, this isnt possible (I simply cant see if the image is in focus, or not).

I am STILL having this problem and it's ridiculously frustrating!!! My iPhone 6 is more reliable.

Most reactions

Back