• sl2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

penuttmman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi I'm looking to buy my first DSLR and my grandpa has some lenses that he had like 20-30 years ago from the brand Minolta and Sigma so is there any camera that I could use them on? thank you! I'm still debating to get Nikon d3400 or the canon sl2.

The Minolta will not work on either Nikon or Canon without an adaptor. The Sigma is a brand but doesn't mean what camera mount it has. If his older lens is a Minolta, my guess is the Sigma is also a Minolta mount lens.

The better adaptors allow focus to infinity. To do this they have a corrector lens. The one's I know of in the $35 to $50 range that have a corrector lens has a multiplication factor of 1.4x.

FORGET ABOUT using 20- to 30-year-old Minolta mount manual focusing lenses on a brand-new, d-slr camera! Just forget about it. NEITHER Nikon F-mount NOR Canon EF-mount d-slr cameras work well with Minolta's old lenses. Minolta's old lens mount is not a very compatible mount with a Canon or Nikon d-slr camera system, plus you're just, as a beginnr, WASTING time and shot opportunities futzing around with lens f/stops and manually trying to squint-focus MF lenses on AF cameras that have small, squinty, sub-standard viewfinder images.

Stick with _modern_, system-specific autofocusing lenses!!! The results in sticking with modern, camera-brand-spoecific autofocusing lenses will, for a beginner, especially on entry-level compact d-slr bodies like the two you mentioned, be well,well worth it!

For the beginning shooter, using a compact, pentamirror type d-slr, using obsolete lenses, or lenses that require a glass element in the lens adapter is just an exercise in missed shots, bad light metering, and flub-ups. SYSTEM-specific lenses, those designed for modern, autofocusing cameras, are the very best bet for the beginning shooter!

If you _must_ choose a d-slr, then SKIP MInolta's lenses, and g to a better-suiuted brand, like Nikon F-mount lenses, or Yashica/Contax mount, or some others. See this page for a good deal of information on adapting lenses to EOS mount (Canon EF mount).

Due to flange-to-film distance (flange-to-sensor), Nikon F-mountd-slr cameras are not a good choice for using adapted, off-mount type lenses, since the F-mount's flange-to-film distance of 44.5mm (IMMSMC) requires a glass element in the adapter to achieve Infinity focus with off-mount lenses; Canon will NOT need a glass element.

Canon EOS Adapters

Most reactions

New Topics

Back