Nikon D3400 OR Nikon D5200

justjonny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I cannot decide between either of these two cameras listed above. They both have pros and cons and the specs say that they 5200 would have better photos but the 3400 will last longer and of course Is a newer model.

This will be my first DSLR camera. Which would be a better fit?

d3400 is $540 with AF-P DX nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

d5200 is $529 with AF-S DX nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Can anyone help depict which one is better for a beginner ? Or be better in the long run?

read this, and then read Hogan's 70-300 AF-P VR lens review.

Nikon D3400 Camera Review | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 AF-P VR DX | DSLRBodies | Thom Hogan

As far as I am concerned, the D3400 or D5500 are the best new entry-level models, and the NEW AF-P focusing protocol on this low-cost 70-300 AF-P VR lens makes THAT LENS a very valuable update to the Nikon brand. AF-P has faster, better focusing than the older AF-S protocol. Lower-cost lenses from Nikon have not had the best focusing speeds or sureness: this is why the D3400 would be better than a D5200 for a beginner with a budget that is not king's-like.

I think in the long run, having a better-focusing 70-300 AF-P VR lens, a lens that focuses almost as fast and well as the big, $2499 pro Nikkor lenses is an advantage that the 3400 and 5500 bodies offer over the older D5200 body.

This is something most people are NOT considering: AF-P lens performance, and the fact that it only works on very, very new bodies.

Sensor-wise, the 3400 and 5200 have very similar sensor performance; I do NOT think either camera has a significant image quality edge based on the sensors.

As far as I am concerned, the D3400 or D5500 are the best new entry-level models, and the NEW AF-P focusing protocol on this low-cost 70-300 AF-P VR lens makes THAT LENS a very valuable update to the Nikon brand. AF-P has faster, better focusing than the older AF-S protocol. Lower-cost lenses from Nikon have not had the best focusing speeds or sureness: this is why the D3400 would be better than a D5200 for a beginner with a budget that is not king's-like.

I think in the long run, having a better-focusing 70-300 AF-P VR lens, a lens that focuses almost as fast and well as the big, $2499 pro Nikkor lenses is an advantage that the 3400 and 5500 bodies offer over the older D5200 body.

This is something most people are NOT considering: AF-P lens performance, and the fact that it only works on very, very new bodies.

Sensor-wise, the 3400 and 5200 have very similar sensor performance; I do NOT think either camera has a significant image quality edge based on the sensors.

Yeah but when comparing the overall value of the two it seems the 5200 wins with the extra features. The lens may be superior but I can always upgrade the lens and I'm sure both lenses would be fine for me as a beginner. I'm more concerned about the body and what will be a better unit 2-3 years down the road if I expand my skill taking photos

Yeah but when comparing the overall value of the two it seems the 5200 wins with the extra features. The lens may be superior but I can always upgrade the lens and I'm sure both lenses would be fine for me as a beginner. I'm more concerned about the body and what will be a better unit 2-3 years down the road if I expand my skill taking photos

What Derrel and many others will tell you is that good glass ends up being more important than the camera body. And either of those bodies will be great for you starting out. I think the D5200 would be better, but if you can get the lens too, then do it. The 50mm f/1.8 lens is a good, cheap, addition as well.

Last edited:
The 50mm F/1.8 AF-S G Nikkor is the better portrait lens.

What Derrel and many others will tell you is that good glass ends up being more important than the camera body.
Well, 100% agreed, but quite frankly as far as kitlenses are concerned, I dont understand the fuss. Its not like any of them would actually be huge on BQ. They are all plastic build and dark and slow autofocus and will be replaced by people who get more into photography.

Your question was specifically the d3400 or the d5200. Either body is good. Even though the d5200 is older, I like it better due to some extra features and the articulating screen. BUT it has an older sensor with low pass filter and it will not work with the new P lenses. Your best play would be to find a d5300, which can be found reasonably priced and is better than both.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back