Nikon d3500 or Olympus OMD E M10 MARK II

Harry Tsitsi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to buy my first camera and after asking questions in many different forums and watching many videos a new question surfaced . Mirroless or dslr? Do m43 sensors have worse image quality ? APC-S sensors on mirrorless have the same quality as the dslr counterparts? My budget is 400-600 euros but i still dont want to spend more than 500 euros if there is no big difference . I have narrowed down the options to two but i am open to suggestions . Nikon d3500 with a AF-P DX 18-55mm VR + a AF-P DX 70-300 VR and an olympus OMD E M10 MARK 2 with an ED 14-42 II R . Also the canon m50 for 600 euros with EFM 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM . What do you suggest ? Thank you !

My Panasonic G9 using the MF3 system has image quality as good as a DSLR, good luck........

The body costs 1,5k euros . Do cheaper models around the 500euro mark have comparable performance ? Thanks!

Generally any of the three will do you fine for general photography.

Nikon: Double check the D3500 kit. Many of these 2-lens kits will bundle a 70-300 that does NOT have VR/IS. And today, you do NOT want a long lens that does not have VR/IS.​

Olympus: If you want the most compact and light kit, then the Olympus EM10 would be my choice.
A low cost 2nd lens for the EM10 is a refurbished Olympus 40-150R, sells for $60 + shipping, on the Olympus site.
Note the EM10 had In-Body IS (IBIS), so the lens does not need to have IS.

Canon: I know almost nothing about it, so have to leave it to others to comment on it.​

IQ of the m4/3 is fine, during the day.
It is when the light goes down, and you have to crank up the ISO, then m4/3 lags the APS-C cameras in IQ.
But note that none of the 3 cameras you list, come with a low light lens. You would have to buy a fast/low light lens separate. So as configured with a slow lens, all 3 are essentially daytime kits.

Canon EOS M50 vs Nikon D3400 vs Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II | DxOMark

Canon M50 has not been tested....

The Nikon D3400 gives about 13.9 EV of dynamic range when tested, the Oly 12.5 EV...I assume the new Nikon D3500 sensor performs similarly to the D3400 sensor, or a slight bit better.

The Oly low-light score of 842 is, by today's standards, kind of poor...

I dunno...go to a store, see the cameras, feel them...you're considering buying a cheap Nikon, and a decent Olympus...

Have you ever seen and felt these cameras? You're comparing Nikon's bottom-line d-slr with a 3x more-costly Olympus...you might like the feel of the Oly much more...it's a nicely-made instrument...the D3xxx Nikons feel plastic-y to me.

I used quite much a nikon d3300 and a d3100 but i have also taken some pictures with a canon 1300d so i dont know how a quality dslr feels . I have not seen or used a single mirrorless camera but i intend to . They cost exactly the same where i live but the nikon comes with 2 lenses . A 18-55mm VR lens and a 70-300mm also vr . But the design of the olympus and the smaller size make the mirrorless camera worth considering . Still however i dont think it will provide as good of an experience based on what i have seen . I sometimes intend on using my camera for long exposure night shots . Also i just saw that the d3500 comes with not only an extra lens but with a tripod , a bluetooth speaker and a carrying bag . Are DXoMark scores reliable? Because as far as smartphones go the scores are not that accurate (pixel 3 has the best camera in a smartphone but it is not on top)

Nikon: Double check the D3500 kit. Many of these 2-lens kits will bundle a 70-300 that does NOT have VR/IS. And today, you do NOT want a long lens that does not have VR/IS.​

Olympus: If you want the most compact and light kit, then the Olympus EM10 would be my choice.
A low cost 2nd lens for the EM10 is a refurbished Olympus 40-150R, sells for $60 + shipping, on the Olympus site.

Canon: I know almost nothing about it, so have to leave it to others to comment on it.​

It is when the light goes down, and you have to crank up the ISO, then m4/3 lags the APS-C cameras in IQ.
But note that none of the 3 cameras you list, come with a low light lens. You would have to buy a fast/low light lens separate. So as configured with a slow lens, all 3 are essentially daytime kits.
The d3500 says it comes with a 70-300mm with VR , a tripod , a bluetooth speaker and a carrying bag . Also I dont see a way to buy something straight from the Olympus site . Am i doing something wrong?

This is kit i am talking about :

Attachments

• dslr.PNG
    dslr.PNG
    21.8 KB · Views: 284
I can't see the image you tried to attach, but be very careful. I have never seen a D3500 bundle with a 70-300 VR lens. Typically the 18-55 is VR, but the 70-300 is not. I'm not saying that any retailer would be misleading, but it is known to happen.

I can't see the image you tried to attach, but be very careful. I have never seen a D3500 bundle with a 70-300 VR lens. Typically the 18-55 is VR, but the 70-300 is not. I'm not saying that any retailer would be misleading, but it is known to happen.

This might be a custom kit . Because many stores have it with a VR 70-300mm. Others also include an sd card rather than a tripod . I saw some reviews and they do say 70-300mm non VR but here more than 10 stores sell it with the VR lens. I will contact them of course and ask wether it has VR

The d3500 says it comes with a 70-300mm with VR , a tripod , a bluetooth speaker and a carrying bag . Also I dont see a way to buy something straight from the Olympus site . Am i doing something wrong?

This is the refurb site.
Reconditioned Lenses - Outlet | Olympus
You have to check often, as product moves in and out of inventory. Sometimes the 40-150R sits there, other times it is in and out in a day.

A bluetooth speaker :confused:

This is the refurb site.
Reconditioned Lenses - Outlet | Olympus
You have to check often, as product moves in and out of inventory. Sometimes the 40-150R sits there, other times it is in and out in a day.
Thanks a lot i will keep an eye out!

A bluetooth speaker :confused:
Yeah kind of weird but it is true ..

Most reactions

Back