Nikon d3500

Byrnew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all ,

I bought a Nikon D3500 and I'm just wondering would I be in the correct settings when taking the photos. I went out today with a prime 35mm lense on and got lovely photos. The problem is when I go onto snapseed or lightroom to add a little extra colour on them it makes the origianals look a bit colourless so I am wondering what is the best setting to set the camera in to make the photos have the best colour going on.

I have it set to JPEG fine , picture control is SD

Also when I bought the lense it came with a lense hood . What are these used for and when shiukd I use it ??

Thank you

Wayne

Lens hoods are for blocking out light that might hit the front element from the sides, causing lens flare and loss of contrast. It's also great for protecting your lens. I never take mine off (unless I'm using filters).

If you have Lightroom, I would just switch to raw and adjust colours and everything else in post. If you want extra saturated jpegs straight out camera, than just go for picture profile "vivid" or "landscape", or make your own.

Lens hoods are for blocking out light that might hit the front element from the sides, causing lens flare and loss of contrast. It's also great for protecting your lens. I never take mine off (unless I'm using filters).

If you have Lightroom, I would just switch to raw and adjust colours and everything else in post. If you want extra saturated jpegs straight out camera, than just go for picture profile "vivid" or "landscape", or make your own.
Hiya, thanks very much for the information I will try each of those tips you game me ;-)

Wayne

Even though you are currently working with and editing jpeg's, I would still shoot RAW + jpeg. That way, you would have the RAW files for future use if you have an image you particularly like and learn to process RAW files.

in the picture control menu, you probably have it set to standard. My experience is that the vivid setting produces images that are richly saturated---sometimes too much so. Nikon has several different picture control options, which are applied to JPEG images that come straight off of the memory card. There is also the tone curve and the D–lighting setting. Together these three setting parameters do a tremendous amount in regard to how the JPEG images created by the camera look.

Nikon also maintains a webpage that has dozens and dozens of picture control presets which you are free to download and load to your camera and which you can name or rename as desired. The last time I was there I believe the web URL is NikonPC.com

in the picture control menu, you probably have it set to standard. My experience is that the vivid setting produces images that are richly saturated---sometimes too much so. Nikon has several different picture control options, which are applied to JPEG images that come straight off of the memory card. There is also the tone curve and the D–lighting setting. Together these three setting parameters do a tremendous amount in regard to how the JPEG images created by the camera look.

Nikon also maintains a webpage that has dozens and dozens of picture control presets which you are free to download and load to your camera and which you can name or rename as desired. The last time I was there I believe the web URL is NikonPC.com
Hi Derrel,
Thanks again for your information I went onto that website there and there is so many to choose from . I did try the vivid setting on the camera and I found it was very colourful a bit to much and not natural . Il play around with it and see what I come up with, dont want to over do it and take the natural look away from my photos . Thanks again very helpful as always:)

Wayne

If you are already using Lightroom you have nothing to lose by just shooting raw (maybe a bit of disc space) as you already have the workflow in place,vyou just have better edit abilities in raw

Most reactions

Back