What's new

Nikon D3s released

FrankLamont

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 20, 2009
Messages
556
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After much speculation… it’s been released!


12.1MP, 14fps, up to 102,400 ISO…


Info:
here
and here


It’s also been released at the time of the 85mm f/3.5 micro VR.
 
why? its seems like the d3x just came out. what does this camera offer thats any better? besides a ridiculously high iso range?
 
Speed vs. Resolution

Not 14 fps. Similar updates to D300/d300s.
 
It's not 14 frames per second--it's 9 frames per second in FX mode, and 11 frames per second in DX mode. I looked at the samples on Nikon's USA web site, and the several ISO 12,800 shots had a high amount of fine detail rendered, with nose well under control. The speedlight lit shot if the boxer done at ISO 6,400 was excellent. Looks like a great camera body.
 
why? its seems like the d3x just came out. what does this camera offer thats any better? besides a ridiculously high iso range?

VIDEO :thumbup:

WOOT!

Added to 'must have when rich and famous' list.
 
okay, i see.

is the video any good? compared to prosumer video cameras? I dunno. I feel like video is just another add on you don't need that much. It could be fun though.
 
Yes, sorry, 9fps...
 
Some rich guy on the forums feel like buying one for me? :D Pwetty pweaze?

No but really.... clean ISO 1600 and pretty damn good ISO 6400? Check. Available light shooting in almost complete darkness? Check. 9 FPS shooting for over 5 seconds straight, not including time boost from the speed of the memory card? Check.

For any small-format scenario that wouldn't be better served by film (context-specific), this is the ultimate camera. Period. I'd buy one, but when you're struggling to save up even for a 105mm f/2.8 Macro VR... being a college student sucks sometimes.
 
A def. buy for me. It'll take a few months, but this will be my next body.
 
Notice how on the Nikon website, they tote that it can shoot ISO 102,400 yet don't have any examples higher than 12800?

Basically means ISO 25,600 still looks like dog s***, while 51,200 and 102,400 are basically there just so nikon can say we have a camera that can shoot ten stops faster than ISO 100.

And from the examples they have on the nikon imaging website, if you look at the pictures where ISO 12800 would actually be used, you can see, they still look super noisy.

I bet as far as REAL improvement over the D3/700, it's only one stop. The D3 was the first camera that could actually shoot a kinda OK ISO 6400, the D3s is a kinda sorta OK ISO 12800.

I dunno... honestly, I think this should have been in the D4, and instead of getting a D3 with one stop better high ISO and cheesy video with retouch options stripped from the D5000, we should have gotten some sort of competition to Micro 4/3rds, or Nikon embracing the standard and making lenses and/or bodies for it.

Micro 4/3rds has the potential to becoming the linux of cameras. An open format with a standardized mount and flash system so the photographer can customize their cameras to their hearts content. Panasonic and Olympus have already gone in, and there are talks of Fujifilm joining in too.

For God's sake, now i'm talking about micro 4/3rds in a thread about a $5200 pro cam. Sh*t, the puffins were shot at ISO 12800, f/4 and almost 1/8000th of a second!
 
edit: sorry double post. Damn I need to go to sleep >< please delete.
 
But that's always the case Switch! Every camera looks like arse at it's maximum ISO. But the maximum ISO bar has been raised. Nothing new here, news at 11.
 
The ISO 12800 is ok, you can see the noise reduction going on. ISO 102400 will be a joke most likely.

Screenshot2009-10-14at70859AM.png


720 video? Lame. I don't care about video anyway, but seriously... if you're going to add it at least make it 1080/24.

Seems like a nice modest bump in specs for an S model. If I had just bought a D3 last week I would be pissed because the S is cooler. :)

Honestly, I don't see anything all that exciting about it... no more so than the old D3.
 
I don't think this quite warrants a big difference for D3 owners to upgrade at the moment.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom