nikon d40 - canon xsi question?

I haven't noticed any difference personally.

The big advantage to a single lens is not having to swap them out, the disadvantage is some minor distortion that is easily corrected (if you even notice it). The 18-135 gets a mixed bag of reviews but the 18-55/55-200 combo is generally well praised.

The convenience of having a nice single walk around lens is pretty sweet, I have to admit. Having owned the 18-105 and 18-200VR (sold for the 70-300VR) I've never had any issues with distortion that I really noticed.

would you recommend 18-55/55-200 VR lenses over the regular 18-55/55-200? I've decide to go that route because of a poor review I read on the 18-135mm. I'm on a budget here and if I get the good VR lenses the bag, battery and memory goodies will have to wait.:(

two seprate lenses will be of better quality than one that "does it all" ..... and Vr is great to have. good choice. 18-55/55-200 vr .... great set up

If you try out a 55-200 without VR later, you'll be thanking yourself many times over for getting VR, especially if you'll be hand-holding most of the time.

thats true thats true...
clear.gif

thanks for the replies. I'm going with the D40 18-55/55-200 Vr lenses. Now to figure out where is cheaper!

Not just cheaper, but reputable as well. Keep in mind that if its too good to be true (price) its likely a scam. Do your research. Any quuestions, be sure to ask. B&H, adorama, beach camera, etc are recommended.

I always look at:

Adorama
Beach Camera
B&H Photo

Usually between those 3 I can find a great deal from a reputable dealer. Granted I'd also look locally if I had a local shop.

Congratulations, you're going to have a very nice kit that will last you a good long time!

I personally wouldn't bother with the extra money for the 18-55VR since handholding wider lenses is not as hard. It's about $100 more for the VR version and I'd put that 100 toward a 35mm f1.8 which is going to get you as many stops as VR. Plus the 35mm f1.8 is sharper and will have better DOF due to the 1.8 aperture.

If it was me, I'd get the D40, 35mm f1.8 and 55-200VR (actually I'd save and get a D90, but that's not the point of this thread...lol.) Of course, you'll never find a kit offering that combo above. You might be able to find a kit with just the 55-200 vr and then get the 35mm f1.8 seperate.

I agree that VR is more important on the long and slow end of things (f/5.6 at 200mm for example). I never had issues with my 18-55 (non VR) handheld, but everyone swears by the 18-55VR so maybe I was missing out on something.

The 35mm f/1.8 is a killer lens, I'm glad on jumped on the early boat and got one right away, if you can find one grab it!

I personally wouldn't bother with the extra money for the 18-55VR since handholding wider lenses is not as hard. It's about $100 more for the VR version and I'd put that 100 toward a 35mm f1.8 which is going to get you as many stops as VR. Plus the 35mm f1.8 is sharper and will have better DOF due to the 1.8 aperture.

If it was me, I'd get the D40, 35mm f1.8 and 55-200VR (actually I'd save and get a D90, but that's not the point of this thread...lol.) Of course, you'll never find a kit offering that combo above. You might be able to find a kit with just the 55-200 vr and then get the 35mm f1.8 seperate.

I may have misunderstood the package but isn't the 200mm lens VR and the 18-55 regular?
INKD40K2A Nikon D40 6.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Two Lens Kit, with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX & 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR (Vibration Reduction) - USA Warranty
Nikon | D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm AF-S DX &

You are correct, you're all set there... Not a bad price either considering some places are selling the D40 with the 18-55 kit lens for $499.

I may have misunderstood the package but isn't the 200mm lens VR and the 18-55 regular?
INKD40K2A Nikon D40 6.1 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Two Lens Kit, with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX & 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR (Vibration Reduction) - USA Warranty
Nikon | D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm AF-S DX &

Yes, and that's a pretty good deal and just what I think would be best. Get that kit and then save and make the 35 f1.8 your next purchase.

one more thing... the package doesn't include a sd disk. What do guys think I need as far as size/brand? anything else I will definitely need to get started when the camera arrives?

this one maybe? [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS8GSDHC6/dp/B000P9ZBFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243626826&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Transcend 8 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS8GSDHC6: Electronics[/ame]
thanks

I always use Sandisk and since the dive into the DSLR world Sandisk Extreme III.

LensPen for quick and easy lens cleaning.
Case.
Fun shooting weather!

I always use Sandisk and since the dive into the DSLR world Sandisk Extreme III.

LensPen for quick and easy lens cleaning.
Case.
Fun shooting weather!

how many GB's is practical? I noticed some of the Extreme III's were 50+ dollars.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back