Nikon D40 + Nikkor 18-55mm II OR Canon Powershot S5 IS?

JohnnyChrist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm taking pictures of models(human), and concerts(live active bands).
At free time I like to shoot nature pictures.

So tell me why the what and who the where?

Thanks, ANY advice is really appreciated!

Welcome to the forum

There is a big difference between those two cameras. The Nikon is a DSLR, and had an APS-C sized sensor (fairly large). The Canon S5 IS, is not an SLR...it's lens is built into the camera and it's sensor is much smaller.

The smaller sensor will be lower image quality and more noise at higher ISO.

When you buy an SLR camera, with interchangeable lenses...you are buying into a system. Most of the bodies, lenses and flashes in that system are interchangeable and upgradeable. When you but a 'Digi-cam'...the lens is built in and you are stuck with it. There are few upgrades, and fewer that are worth your while.

So between those two, the choice is clear...the Nikon D40.

However, I would also recommend having a look at the Canon Rebel XTi or slightly older Rebel XT.

Thanks for the welcoming and even bigger thanks for so fast reply.

I understand their differences but the thing that kinda blocked me out, was that Nikon has 6mil pixels and Canon has 8.

I thought that you'd say Nikon. But did you consider the facts I said. modeling and concerts? Thanks again, mate.

Mega pixels aren't everything. I would still take the larger sensor and 6MP over the smaller sensor with 8MP.

Shots of models isn't necessarily the most demanding thing, because you often have your own lighting or at least good lighting...so you maybe wouldn't need high ISO settings. A Digicam may be OK. However, the quality of the lens in a digicam, while good compared to other digicams, isn't nearly as good as a good quality SLR lens. And it does help to have good quality lenses for shooting models. Also, you can get a shallower DOF with an SLR camera than you can with a digicam in similar situations. This is good for blurring out the background.

For concerts, the DSLR wins hands down. Concerts usually call for pushing the limits of your camera with high ISO settings...and the DSLR will give you decent results at ISO 1600 or 3200...where as most any digicam will struggle at ISO 800.

Also, please change your avatar. This is a 'family' site with young members and we don't appreciate so called 'foul' language.

Thanks a million. Just the push I needed!

And I'll change the avatar right away. Thanks for informing me too.
Only put it because it was the first pic I found with the 100x100 pixel requirements.

I wish one person would give me just another push, it would be perfecto.

And Big Mike, you really are a Big Brother on this site, I see. Keep up the food work!

Thank you.

Thanks.

Really, the best advice when buying a new camera...is to go into a store and hold the different ones. They all feel different in the hands and you want to get one that feel right to you. Also, do your homework before you go, so that you know what models to look at...and so that you don't have to rely on some idiot salesperson.

Yes, I've done that.
Just needed that little push to make me know for sure.
I think you know what I mean.

I hear ya.

You could try searching the forum, you are certainly not the first to ask this type of question.

Most reactions

Back