Nikon D40 Vs Nikon D60

ffd796

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, now I have a problem! I have been looking at getting the Nikon D40 kit with the 18mm - 55mm lens and the 55mm - 200mm dx lens. Best buy has this kit on the day after thanksgiving for 549.00 with the Nikon bag included so I was all set to do that. Today Best Buy put the D60 kit all the same stuff but with the 60 and VR lens instead of DX for 724.00. I know that the lenses are better but my question is to the D40 users out there (i know there are alot of you), would you get the D60 instead?

by the way, incase you can't tell this will be my first DSLR...

If I remember correctly, note that the kit on the Best Buy
Black Friday website is NOT the "VR" lens for the 55-200mm.

Once you add the $50 to upgrade to the VR lens, you get the same D40 kit price of $599 that anyone will do this time of year. Bet that even Wolf would do that if you asked them to (to get the sale), since that is their normal price for that kit, although not currently advertised that way.

I know for sure that Wolf Camera will match prices with Best Buy and other local ads.

I believe the D60 to be pretty much the same camera as the
D40 with a few more pixels. For the money (especially for the money), I don't see a better Nikon (than the D40) anywhere this side of the D90.

Put the extra $124.00 into glass and other accessories.

I wish I had my D200 back, that would have been my only other choice between the D40 and D90, if I didn't already have a D90.

And a D40.

Also, the case that comes with the kit is NOT "all that", and the rest of most stuff in most kits has little real value. But, for a newbie, the "Nikon School" on CD, and some classes you can actually attend to learn more about your camera (all from Wolf with their kits) might help you some, as a fledgeling photograper.

Good luck, enjoy what ever you choose to do that is best for YOU!

Last edited:
you could also consider getting a used D80.. i put one with glass together for about the price of that d60.. how ever it is the cheapest lens i could get 50mm 1.8 ... but it leaves me more wiggle room with that I can use with it...and as a broke student that was a purchase way above my means but I am 120% and I am happy that i did.

just something to consider... but if that is not an option I would go with the D40 becasue there are other stuff you are going to want to go with the camera that add up... like Remotes, flashes, tripod and such

what ever you buy i hope you enjoy it

you could also consider getting a used D80.. i put one with glass together for about the price of that d60.. how ever it is the cheapest lens i could get 50mm 1.8 ... but it leaves me more wiggle room with that I can use with it...and as a broke student that was a purchase way above my means but I am 120% and I am happy that i did.

just something to consider... but if that is not an option I would go with the D40 becasue there are other stuff you are going to want to go with the camera that add up... like Remotes, flashes, tripod and such

what ever you buy i hope you enjoy it

Good idea, that would be my second choice too. I believe that a 10MP D80 is probably a better camera than is a 10MP D60. But D40 would still rank high on my list.

It will likely take a newbie maybe 2-3 years to outgrow a D40, and by then there will be a new generation of technology and other camera body offerings.

I have a D90, but I still love to just go out and shoot with my D40. Light, easy to handle, fun to use, easy menus for a newbie. You can even set it to where you don't get any lost shots while you are fiddling to get the adjustments right while you are learning.

The D40 is plenty of camera for most people, IMHO of course, but not so much to be overwhelming.

In the meantime, get a D40 kit, have some extra $$ to get other accessories and stuff to go with it while you are learning.

But do what is best for YOU! Good luck!!!!!

I bought my first DSLR yesterday. It just happens to be the very D40 kit you are looking at with the 55-200 VR lens. The owner of the Camera Shop told me he would take the D40 over the D60 even if the D60 was a little cheaper. It just takes great pictures and its relatively easy to use he said.
Thats what I bought and so far I am very impressed with the pictures I have taken so far.

Well, When my wife was out today she picked up the D60 Kit with both VR Lenses and the Bag plus she purchased the 4 year add on protection plan from Best Buy for an additional $150.00. I am not a big fan of the protection plans but this sounds like it could be a good deal because Best Buy is just down the road and i guess it covers the battery.

I did not open anything because i am not sure if this is the route that i wanted to go so now I really have to do some thinking or return it all. This is not as big of a deal as it sounds because this is supposed to be my Christmas Present so i am not supposed to use it any way.

I am under the understanding that the D40 comes with the non VR lenses but being new, i have no idea how big of a deal that is going to be?

With the warranty and taxes we are at about $900.00 so I am wondering if I should just go shopping on line, or return it and get the D40 and save some money for an 18-200 lens. I think it would be nice to have everything on one lens.

I am under the understanding that the D40 comes with the non VR lenses but being new, i have no idea how big of a deal that is going to be?

The D40 package you see for $549 probably does NOT include the VR for the 55-200m lens,

but the same D40 WITH the 55-200 will be about $600.00

If I could buy a camera from Best Buy, or Wolf, both at the same price, I would go with Wolf. And Wolf will match prices with Best Buy.

Not a bad deal for $50 difference between getting a VR lens for just a little more...

I would surely get the D40 over any Nikon body this side of a D90.

...or a used D200

Last edited:
Neither. The D70S is in the price range of the D40, and its a much better camera that comes with a better lens. It may be a bit bigger, but its worth it. The small, plasticy size and the Lack of in body AF motor will eventually frustrate you. The D70s also has twice the shutter life of the D40. I made the switch and I'm happy that I did.

I have a D60, it seems to be a snazzy camera.
Gets the job done really :)

I would buy a D40 over a D60 if the price were dead even... it has better image quality at higher ISO's (I have used both extensively).

Most reactions

Back