Nikon D40

montyb1990

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I am about to buy a Nikon D40 and I have a few questions. I have decided to stick with the kit lens and get a Nikkor 55-200 VR lens. My first question is, is this a good choice, and is VR worth more money?

Also, how big a difference do the quality of the memory cards affect taking pictures (speed and otherwise). Do I really need to spend more money on a super-fast card or is a decent 60X card going to be alright?

I have also been looking into filters. I do not really want to spend that much money on them right now, so what would be a good all around filter to get that would protect my lens and make my pictures look better overall? Should I get a UV filter or a circular polarizer lens? When can you not use either lens and when will I definitely need one or the other and do they make a huge difference?

Thank you all in advance,
Monty

I'm pretty sure the only way that you'll need a fast card (133x) would be if you were doing continuous shooting. Besides, the d40 only has 2.5fps if I remember correctly which might not even matter. If the card is too slow for the speed of the camera (fps), then the camera will slow down after the buffer is full of pictures.

You could probably use any generic cheap memory card. This isn't a camera that'll spit out 10 MB RAW files at 6-8 frames per second. It does 2.5 fps, and the RAW files are only about 5 MB. So memory card performance isn't critical.

The 55-200VR is a great lens, and yes VR is definitely worth the extra $50 or so on that lens. It's very light weight and difficult to stabilize so the VR helps a ton. I had the older non-VR 55-200 and ended up selling it for a 70-300VR.

For filters, just get some cheap 52mm UV filters for protection. A circular polarizer is good for outdoor shots during the day. I'd stick with the cheap variety filters just to start off because you'll probably upgrade eventually and the nicer lenses all take bigger filters which will force you to re-buy things.

<snipped>

... I'd stick with the cheap variety filters just to start off because you'll probably upgrade eventually and the nicer lenses all take bigger filters which will force you to re-buy things.

I would strongly recommend against buying cheap filters. Look for good quality, used filters from your local camera store; you don't need to buy B+W or Heliopan, but at least a good mid-range like Hoya. Cheap filters (esp. the offshore brands you see all over eBay) can be worse than nothing, often detracting from a picture rather than enhancing it.

I would suggest buying a UV or 1A to put on and leave on each lens, and then a circular polarizer if you plan on doing a lot of outdoor photography.

Do get the 55-200 VR. It is worth it as stated. I still carry and love the lens. Card speed isnt going to be that much of an issue.
Do take the advice of good filters. Remember, the camera records the shott... the glass and what on the end of it(plus your eyes) make the photos.

Although I agree with the quality filters, I don't think a UV filter is that big of a deal. Nowadays all filters are computer machined so you're not going to get any sort of abnormalities in it. Its basically a shield that also blocks UV rays, so you probably will see no difference between a normal UV filter and a Tiffen/Hoya UV filter. But for a polarizing filter or any other kind of filter, I would STRONGLY recommend getting high-quality filters.

But I'm an amateur, and I could be wrong.

Thank you very much for all the help! I have one last question. Does any one happen to know how the warranty would work if I buy the camera in the US but I live in Canada? Also, what would the typical warranty be on this camera?

I would strongly recommend against buying cheap filters. Look for good quality, used filters from your local camera store; you don't need to buy B+W or Heliopan, but at least a good mid-range like Hoya. Cheap filters (esp. the offshore brands you see all over eBay) can be worse than nothing, often detracting from a picture rather than enhancing it.

I would suggest buying a UV or 1A to put on and leave on each lens, and then a circular polarizer if you plan on doing a lot of outdoor photography.
When I said cheap filters I didn't mean eBay crap. I don't even use eBay. What I meant was buy a Hoya, but don't feel like you have to go for the super duper multi-coated digital Pro-1 stuff. Just their basic cheap filter.

My first question is, is this a good choice, and is VR worth more money?

Yes. It is a very popular choice with D40 owners (me included), as, together with the kit lens, it gives you 18-200. It is admittedly a pain to swap between the two often, but it's the cheap option, as opposed to spending huge sums of money on the 18-200.

how big a difference do the quality of the memory cards affect taking pictures (speed and otherwise). Do I really need to spend more money on a super-fast card or is a decent 60X card going to be alright?

Considering you can get SanDisk Extreme III's for stupidly low prices on Amazon... might aswell get a 2GB one of those. You won't be doing many sequences or anything, with only 2.5FPS, but it is nice to be able to flick through photos quickly on the LCD.

I have also been looking into filters. I do not really want to spend that much money on them right now, so what would be a good all around filter to get that would protect my lens and make my pictures look better overall? Should I get a UV filter or a circular polarizer lens?

Filters are cheap. Get a good quality UV and Polariser. Make sure they're 52mm.

You should take a good look at a D70... you can buy it used for the same or less then a d40, has the same (or very similar) sensor, yet it also has the functionality and lens compatibility of the d80.

The only thing that sucks about a d70 is the screen size.

i bought a nikon D40 in december. my first DSLR. i love it! go for it. i dont think you'll have issues with the warranty. i dont think you'll have problems with the camera either

Most reactions

Back