Nikon D40x Vs D80

I bought a D40x from costco w/a couple of lenses and the other hoopla. This is my first foray into digital photography unless my cell phone snapshots count. It is not too late to return my D40x but the more I compare it w/the D80 the more I feel I got an excellent deal and it is a great camera to learn the art of photography.
There is one setting that is utterly annoying w/the D40x--everytime you change one of the preset modes you have to reset the "dynamic" focus area. I don't know if the D80 is like this but it is really annoying not to have some kind of user preset for each mode. Perhaps there is a way to personalize this setting and I just haven't discovered it.
That being said I really love my D40x which is why I have yet to return it for a D80. Keep in mind that I am a novice photographer but truly enjoy the art of photography.

have a good one
3Eo

Hey Nikon/Denver,

There was a thread somewhere in the beginners forum mentioning the D70. I bet if you do a forum search you might get a few hits:p

have a good one
3Eo

I bought the d40x a couple of months ago, and enjoy the smaller size versus larger d80. I don't have large hands. I drive 90% of the day from one job site to another. So to break up the monotony of the day I look for interesting pics during the drive. The smaller size is easier to grab and shoot. As for the lenses available, the array is fairly adequate (maybe professionals don't think so). But how many of us are pro's? Certainly not the ones asking ?'s here :>) Bottomline it's a good starter to get use to and learn with. I bought the kit with two lenses: the 18-55mm f3.5/5.6 and the 55-200mm f4/5.6. I recently purchased the 70-300mm f4.5/5.6 Vr. I throw the 55-200 in a drawer now. The difference is night and day between the two.

www.flickr.com/photos/tedgtfan

These are the dimensions of the D80 and D40X respectively:
(5.2 x 4.1 x 3.0 in) - 1.5LBS
(5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in) - 1.2LBS

Yes I did shot them with the D40x with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses that came with the body. thanks for your thoughts on pics.:wink:

Ted- I checked your photo's out, are they on the d40x.....great fireworks pics

Any place that is selling D80's in volume for less than 800 is a scam site. Doesn't matter how professional or w/e their site looks. ESPECIALLY a complete D80 kit for what. . .more than 50% off its regular price.

If you're really going to get a D80 mate, gonna have to accept that its going to cost you 700-800 for the body, and perhaps 800-1000 for the D80.

Thought it was the D80. Comment still stands. It's another bait-and-switch company. Why not expand your company search if you cant afford a D40 - Canon makes "cheaper" (not in quality - just in price) dSLR's. I'm sure you can get a 350D or 400D for a nice price.

we can afford the D80, but my wife don't think she needs all of that camera

She'll change her mind when she realizes the lens limitations of it. The D80 operates (fundementally) the same way as the D40 - it just has more features when you are ready to utilize them.

I haven't read through this thread or anyhting but I'll say this. THERE ARE HUGE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE CAMERAS. Nikons entry D40 is farther from the D80 than Canons entry level is to their prosumer camera. If I shot Nikon I wouldn't even look at the D40 or D40X as an option, it'd be Used D50, D70, D70s or a D80 for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back