Nikon D50 or Lumix G1?

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been offered one of the two, not sure which one to take, have used both cameras for an amount of time. But I'm still unsure, ideas?

Nikon has more lenses available that are doubtless better but the D50 is 2-3 years older than the Panasonic.

The G1 has a smaller sensor (micro 4/3) which could be noisier but it's also a newer sensor tech so it could be comparable.

The G1 is slightly heavier. but the D50 is probably bigger.

Nikon is a more respected brand with many not that Panasonic is a bad brand.

at the end of the day it's going to be a gut decision. My assesment is to go for the newer camera if it's a toss up. Especially if you're unlikely to buy more lenses.

I'd go with the Nikon.

Boy...tough call...I think I'd rather have the G1 as a fun camera to carry and to play around with. The D50 on the other hand, has pretty jazzed up color, straight out of camera, and is one of the better straight out of camera JPEG d-slr models Nikon has ever made...tough call,really,a tough decision.

Exactly, after using both for some while now, the image quality is better on the Panasonic. Buut, the compositions are far nicer on the Nikon, the colours are a lot richer and it is a joy to use. The G1 feels like a glorified point and shoot camera. I think I'm going to go with the D50, I've seen some stunning pictures taken with this camera, whereas not many with the G1 (I know it's a new camera and all but still)

I would go with the Nikon, but have to admit I have been wanting to play with a Lumix for some time and may end up getting one before long. The reason for Nikon though is easy as you will be able to get lenses and other accessories much easier and cheaper for it than the Lumix. Every major 3rd party makes stuff for it and they have been around long enough you can find real good glass at pawn shops even. Lumix you will have a far more difficult time doing the same with.

Cost wise, the G1 (with kit lens) should cost more than D50 (with kit lens).

Nikon has more lenses available that are doubtless better but the D50 is 2-3 years older than the Panasonic.

True... Less available lenses for m4/3rd mount. If you like manual focus lenses, then there are 100s more available for m4/3rd via adapters (which is part of the fun for me).

The G1 has a smaller sensor (micro 4/3) which could be noisier but it's also a newer sensor tech so it could be comparable.

True.. I can't say as I only have the G1 but the measurements (taken with a grain of salt) taken by dxomark place the G1 and D50 very close.

The G1 is slightly heavier. but the D50 is probably bigger.

The biggest difference is in the lenses. Remember, the best camera is the one you'll take with you.

390400102.jpg

14-42 and 9-18mm lenses. Both are smaller and lighter weight than my Canon 50mm f/1.4.

Nikon is a more respected brand with many not that Panasonic is a bad brand.

But for m4/3rd and P&S, Panasonic is very well known...

I am afraid the answer here in the TPF will often biased towards the DSLR simply because there are not that many people here with a m4/3rd camera. I can only count probably less than 5 people (including me).

I will add more later... time to hit traffic on my way home. For now you can read my G1 assessment:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-my-thoughts-panasonic-g1-w-manual-glass.html

I have a Panasonic GF1 which i bought before I really got into photography. I considered getting a more traditional dslr but I decided to keep what I had and be happy with it. So far I have a prime and zoom lense and Im not feeling like I will need to get another anytime soon.

Theres fewer native lenses available for the m4/3 format but for me thats a good thing because theres less equipment for me to lust over.

Less equipment envy for me means I can put more energy towards whats going to really improve my pictures and less energy towards thinking about what equipment I need....

my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/44706805@N07/

My parents have the G1 and I used it for some time in Feb this year, it's a really nice fun camera but limited going forward, they are making more lenses now, but you won't ever get the range you'll have the with Nikon.

Honestly, if you think that the lenses on the Lumix will be enough for you I say go for that, if it won't be a huge hobby/investment for you but a fun and good camera it's a great choice.
If you are interested in making alot more out of it in the future, maybe the Nikon will give you a better start

My parents have the G1 and I used it for some time in Feb this year, it's a really nice fun camera but limited going forward, they are making more lenses now, but you won't ever get the range you'll have the with Nikon.

Honestly, if you think that the lenses on the Lumix will be enough for you I say go for that, if it won't be a huge hobby/investment for you but a fun and good camera it's a great choice.
If you are interested in making alot more out of it in the future, maybe the Nikon will give you a better start

You have an absolutely huge choice of lenses not limited to ones made for a specific camera brand if you are willing to manual focus. I have two native lenses sitting in the cupboard & 17 others bought cheap on eBay that I use 95% of the time. Manual focus trumps auto for much of my shooting.

have used both cameras for an amount of time. But I'm still unsure, ideas?

How about share some of your initial thoughts on both and ask more specific questions?

I also have a 1 series Canon and lenses. Although its a far more capable camera, I'd say I have much more fun with my G1 and E-PL1. Its a camera that allows you to be more laid back, casual, and in many cases more creative but without the sacrifice you'd have to make if you took a P&S instead.

Ron is correct.. I have about 15 M-mount lenses, 10 K-mount lenses, 12 M42 Takumars, and 2 Minolta AF lenses that I can use with my m4/3rd camera. Thats on top of the 2 native lenses which are light enough / small enough to easily throw into any bag.

You have an absolutely huge choice of lenses not limited to ones made for a specific camera brand if you are willing to manual focus. I have two native lenses sitting in the cupboard & 17 others bought cheap on eBay that I use 95% of the time. Manual focus trumps auto for much of my shooting.

Ok, this I didn't know, I thought with the micro thing any different lenses were pretty much out.

Manual focusing is ok if you don't have a moving subject, just keep that in mind

Mbnmac
Manual focusing is ok if you don't have a moving subject, just keep that in mind
After reading this yesterday I had to demonstrate the error of your assumption. I took on a very difficult challenge - shooting a dragonfly in flight, a small fast moving target. The following two shots were taken with a Sears 80-200/f4 set to f5.6 @ full zoom, that I got off eBay for under $30 with shipping. I was shooting @ about 30 to 40ft & even @ that range it was very difficult to keep the fly in frame. Panning with the direction of flight trying to get focus it would reverse direction on a dime & be out of frame. This is also an example of where auto focus would be useless in picking the fly from the background.

These shots are highly cropped.

P1030795sm.jpg

P1030801sm.jpg

Most reactions

Back