Nikon D50

CedarBranchNikon said:
Would a good used D100 be a better camera than a D50? I see the original price, a D100 was double the price of a D50. Would the age difference make that much difference in two cameras in "equal" condition? I look at a Nikon comparison chart trying to compare the "bells and whistles" and it can get confusing. Even though I have a "highly technical" background in the manufacturing industry, still when you start reading camera specs. it can really get "heavy". Appreciate all the input so far.

No, the d100 is older then the d50, and while it has a more pro like feel, doesn't perform as well.

Id suggest a d90 if u can afford it, much better performance then the d50 for about $200 more on the used market.

U might also consider a d200, which is a little cheaper then the d90, but has an all metal body and a more professional control layout. The d90 has a better sensor and video, but the d200 handles better.

How much difference is there between "Compact entry-level" and "Normal size entry-level"? Does "entry-level" mean the same as "point and shoot" or can it mean a "good" camera that is capable of "doing good things"? Also, will using "film" lenses on a digital camera present any problems? Just an old guy trying to play "catch up".;)

Entry-level DSLRs include lens interchangability. What they lack is external controls so the photographer doesn't have to 'menu dive' to change critical settings like white balance, image quality, metering mode, focus mode, etc.

There really are no 'film lenses', but technology has moved on such that lenses that were common in the days when film was the only option lack the electronics and camera to lens communication protocols today's lenses have.

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the responses so far. I suppose I could do my own research, but I enjoy discussing photography, I usually get answers a little faster, and I'm retired and just little bit lazy.:lol:
KmH, what does "menu dive" mean? I fear with a "better" digital camera, I'm going to be spending my time constantly adjusting settings and trying to figure out "what to do next". Also, are most didgital cameras now equipped with auto-focus lenses or do photogs. still do their own focusing. Would the Tamron/Nikon lenses I now have on a Nikon 35 autofocus on a DSLR equipped with autofocus? Pardon my ignorance, I'm really working hard playing "catch-up".

Maybe doing your own research is a good idea. To answer all your questions, it depends.

I'm trying to "research" but as an old sage here in NC once said about a "political symposium" that he was invited to attend, he said mistakenly invited to, "You're looking for answers and you don't even know what questions to ask". My problem right now is to figure out "the questions". BTW, vindex1963, what do you look so happy about? :lol:

I had a D50 as my first dSLR. Great camera, easy to use, has that benefit of supporting the majority of lenses due to it's built-in motor.

One downside to it and other older cameras is the small screen on the back of the camera. Not so easy to see the results on it. More modern cameras usually have a larger/clearer screen.

You could consider that a cheaper D50 plus an external flash such as a s/h SB600 is worth the month over a more modern and more expensive camera alone.

The D50 is not as big a pain probably as some other lower level cameras to change settings on. It just requires pushing a button and then using the single command wheel to change ISO, WB and Aperture. I don't remember about changing AF settings because it's been a while since I've used it honestly. I would offer to sell you mine but my wife won't decide if she wants to keep it or not as I've been thinking of selling it, the 28-80, 18-105 VR and a cheapy Quantaray 70-300 to partially fund a 17-55 DX. Really, in good hands a D50 can take beautiful shots. Solid little camera and I got a lot of miles out of mine.

New guy here. Da 50 as I call it is an amazing Nikon digital camera that still today never required any firmware updates. I use mine with my D300 shooting soccer games. This camera, the Nikon F5 and F4 are three that will never be sold.

I'm trying to "research" but as an old sage here in NC once said about a "political symposium" that he was invited to attend, he said mistakenly invited to, "You're looking for answers and you don't even know what questions to ask". My problem right now is to figure out "the questions". BTW, vindex1963, what do you look so happy about? :lol:

You will be completely fine with the D50, more importantly what is your budget. If you just want to take pics of your grand kids and will simply be sending off pics to walmart to be printed, than the d50 is MORE than adequate. I would pick up a d50 + a nikon 50mm 1.8 AF-D lens. that combination will run you about $300 used, to make it even better i would pick up an 18-55 afs Vr lens as well.
The d50 is considered an entry level camera but bear in mind that it's image quality is far superior of point and shoot camera's mainly because it has a large sensor and the ability to change lenses. The d100 is better built but less compatible with today's flashes and uses compact flash cards for memory, this is not good if you would like to upgrade. d50 and d40 are practically the same thing but the d40 is smaller and lacks a built in motor. Basically all this means is that some lenses will not have auto focus function with the camera, it is actually not that important anymore as nikon have released lenses with motors built into them. The d50 also has a decent auto mode so if you just want to Point and shoot you can do that, if you would like more control it has great full manual features just like any other nikon slr. Now i know you have been used to manual focus, but i should warn you that manual focusing these camera's has become harder, in older camera's you would have aids like split screen, the d50 and pretty much all the rest of digital slr's lack these straight out of the box, plus autofocus will be a godsend if you're trying to take pics of kids while they are moving.

Stop over thinking a purchase and just pick one, you cant really go wrong with any of the nikon DSLRS. What is your budget? I know the specs dont make sense right now but when you get the camera in hand and start using it, they will all click into place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back