Nikon D5000 ??

I have only heard and read good thing about the D5000...I have not heard anything about the D90....now I was looking on Best Buy website and saw that they have a package deal for the D5000....has anyone took advantage of the package deals?

I got my camera refurbished through adorama.
524 bucks ( with a 2 year warranty) for the camera, including kits lens... i bought filters and additional lens (55-200). All in all came to about 730 bucks..everything has a 2 year warranty....

I absolutely LOVE my camera... one thing i love and use a lot..is the revolving screen. I have not found a single flaw with it.

I dont see a HUGE difference in the D90 from the D5000, i hear everyone say its overpriced for what it does.. So i have mixed feelings there.

But I would highly recommend the D5000 any day!

D5000

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/%28appareil1%29/294|0/%28appareil2%29/320|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Nikon/%28brand2%29/Nikon -Compare cameras

Hope the links Help a little.

( you can check out my Stats, and thread posts if youd like to see some pictures ive taken with my D5000) ;)

Last edited:
D5000 all the way. Maybe there is a bias to the owners of what ever camera they own. On the other hand the D90"s aren't as spectacular now that the D5000 holds so many of the D90's options.

I have the D5000 and im kicking my self now. Its a great camera but the lack of the second command wheel and other features makes me want the D90.

I was surfing the net and ran across this thread and since I've owned both the D90 & D5000 the past year, I thought I'd jump in, especially when I saw several posts of D90's owners bashing the d5000.

I recently sold the D90 and got a used mint D300. I kept the D5000.
I found myself the past year using the D5000 a LOT more than the D90.
I don't have any complaints on the D5000. The only strike against the D90, is it is NOT worth the $500+ price over the D5000. Trust me on that. Even if it was the same price, I'd still choose the D5000.

Last edited:
I somewhat agree there Jack58... I had both as well, it's a tough call between the two really, IQ wise you couldn't tell a difference between one or the other.

The D90 (which I have) and the D5000 are only about $200.00 price difference (body only) between the 2 cameras now.

I prefer the D90....but certainly do not have anything bad to say about the D5000. It really comes down to how much you want to spend and personal preference.

I bought my very first DSLR back in July. Was looking at both D5000 and D90, and chose the D5000. It's a fantastic camera within its price range but in hindsight I wish I'd gone for the D90. As a newbie, I didn't know what niche of photography I'd prefer. Just so happens that I'm loving portrait photography and being creative with light. As pointed out in an earlier post, the D5000 lacks commander mode (firing a speedlight wirelessley) and for this feature alone I feel I'm lacking the ability to get the shots I want. Other replies to your post also mention the need to buy AF-S lenses as there's no in-built motor, so buying a lens becomes very expensive.

Now the D7000 is out, I'm bypassing the D90, but had I chosen it back in July I'd be a lot more content.

So do we think he's been looking for a camera for almost 6 months now?

Other replies to your post also mention the need to buy AF-S lenses as there's no in-built motor, so buying a lens becomes very expensive.

There are plenty of lenses that work with the D5000 ;)

Lens Compatiblity - Nikon D5000 | Nikon

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16436/~/what-lenses-can-i-use-on-the-nikon-d5000,-d3100,-d3000,-d60,-d40x,-and-d40%3F

Actually, camera choice is matter of "YOUR" preference, not what I like or what anyone else likes.

The key to good pictures knowing how to use your equipment whether it is a D90, D5000, D7000 or D300. And of course knowing basic lighting and composition helps too. Once you have the skill to elicit great photos from one camera, you can get them from any camera. It's like pianos: a 9-foot Bösendorfer may be better piano than the upright at the local bar, but if you can't play the piano, you won't get good music out of any of them. Anyone can bang on a piano and anyone can shoot a camera, but it takes an artist to get decent results from either one. The sad part is how many well-meaning people think photography is as simple as buying a camera.

Getting great pictures comes from knowing how to "play" your camera's settings and paying attention to the lighting. If you know what you're doing, you can do it on the D5000.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back