Nikon D5300 Upgrade HELP PLEASE

Good example. One question: did you raise the exposure or brightness of the image in post-processing - in photoshop or anything?

.. - here is an example - note the fuzziness and loss of detail around the edges for example....
Yes, a bit, but I see that this is not underexposed, but rather overexposed.

I still believe the answer lies in better lighting, not another lens. In the shot you have posted, the light seems to be more than adequate, but instead of simply blasting your subject with tons of light, learn to modify and regulate the light. Until you get the lighting under control, a different camera body and lens will not help you.

F22, diffraction comes into play after f16 which could also be a factor. Looks kinda pinky to me too. I'd try getting some paper in to sort out the background, get a white and grey card for the WB and exposure.

Is your product actually magenta colour or is it supposed to be white? If the latter, you have some white balance issues that need sorting out before you tackle any of the other problems. Make sure your lights are actually colour balanced, hopefully all are the same make and model and use a WB target to set a custom white balance.

You are inducing diffraction at f18 so that could be part of the fuzziness issue. Additionally, placing the focus point at the correct subject point is critical in close up work. Keep in mind DoF is 1/3 in front and 2/3 behind the focus point.

Exposure looks just fine but the WB contamination may result in exposure tweaks.

FWIW, using a light tent to blast illumination on all sides can make your edge detail look fuzzy. Placing black cards in strategic places can reflect a dark edge to the subject which really helps when you want to cut it out and also provides a contrasting edge with the perception of sharpness. These are old techniques used by product photographers for decades.

I would suggest getting a book that deals with table-top work or product photography. A few simple tricks might elevate your results by a fair margin. The idea of using black cards and reflectors is the most obvious technique change.

Most reactions

Back