Nikon D6 Let Me Down

Cgw, your self-described buying philosophy of looking for value at the "trailing edge" sure beats the heck out getting taken to the cleaners at the bleeding edge

Lenses for Nikon? Depends on whether you are going to buy a DX camera, on an FX camera or one of three new Z- series mirrorless models.

Also Canon GFX100 is wrong, it is manufactured by Fujifilm...

The Fujifilm GFX100 is also for a specific market, like the D6. It is more for the working professional, fine art, commercial photographer. It is a system camera for high end, digital, reproduction imagery.

On the D6, I was surprised by the lack of feature upgrades but upon further investigation, it's in the sensor and internals. As mentioned, very specific target market.

I was debating the a6500 and the D6, this video made my desicion easy.

Re Derrels comments.
He makes good points for buying 2nd or 3rd gen camera. I do the same, as a hobbyists I can’t justify or afford leading edge kit, there is so much good used out there. Peeps chase the latest and change in last years model that not only have not they used much but hardly got to know
From watching others people seem to forget that upgrading can have a knock on effect, mem cards, lens mounts, and so on.
A few years ago a load of friends changed their printers, they wanted the latest with lots of different inks. A year later most were saling the year old printer because they could not keep up with the price of so many inks.
A jump from 5inks that could be got cheap to 10 or more that had to be own brand made a huge difference that they had not thought of

Last edited:
The same hobbyist chasing the latest and greatest and complaining about the d6 never bought the D5 or the D4...

They all bought the d850 then complained about storage space...

Or they bought the 7dmark 2, and then complained it didn't focus.

Or they bought the d500 and complained it didn't have enough megapixels or pop-up flash.

Or they bought the d7500 and complained it only had one card slot and you couldn't put a grip on it

You'll never hear from actual D5 or d6 users cuz they're actually out getting paid and using them

Last edited:
Maybe I should settle on a Fuji GFX-100 for now. I guess I'm never going to get my hands on a Nikon after all :( I just fell in love with the design philosophy of the D6 and overlooked its niche completely, I guess. I have a Canon EOS right now, and it's been 3 years since my last major purchase as well. I didn not know Nikon is majorly used for professional photography - thanks for the heads up!
~Sanjeev Nanda

Maybe I should settle on a Fuji GFX-100 for now. I guess I'm never going to get my hands on a Nikon after all :( I just fell in love with the design philosophy of the D6 and overlooked its niche completely, I guess. I have a Canon EOS right now, and it's been 3 years since my last major purchase as well. I didn not know Nikon is majorly used for professional photography - thanks for the heads up!
~Sanjeev Nanda

are you a bot?

I have adopted the "1-generation old" strategy for my kit. This has allowed me to have what was pro-level gear despite the latest model being out there. I currently own a D3 and a D4.

I suspect that the prices of used D5's will go down and availability will go up.

I tend to go back a bit as well.

DSC_1812_220tag5.JPG

Going back 1,2, or even three generations makes sense. I bought a used D3x in 2012, and a used D610 and used D800 in 2017...all three were four to five years behind the time, and i bought them for $5,000 , $1,000, and $2,400 below intro price.

Since 2012, the degree of improvement between each generation of camera has become fairly minimal. It's not as if it is 2003, or 2004, or 2009 even. Cameras have now reached the point of sufficiency. No longer do you want to upgrade every generation, which was the case between the years of 2001 and 2009.

The D6 is designed for speed and reliability. Nikon is no longer focusing on high megapixel count in this segment, because it is not wanted, and it's not needed. Most news and sports photos today are down-rezzed quite a bit , so high megapixel count is not needed,and just not wanted.

Well said Derrel. They want photos no longer than 10 inches (long edge) and 170 DPI and they want them before the game is over. I HATE editing at halftime but you get used to it after awhile. I did miss a second half kickoff return for a TD once because I couldn't get a good wi-fi connection lol

My D6 gets here tomorrow, unfortunately there won't be any sports to shoot for a bit but once there is I'll be ready to go ;)

For me it just comes down to good auto focus, especially in low light, and durability. I've had my 4s since September of 2014 and have over 200,000 shots on it. Now the 4s will be on my left hip while the 6 will be the main camera. That will make the 3s the spare for the spare.

While bodies come and go my 400 f/2.8 will be with me till the day I die, and even then good luck getting that out of my cold dead hands. And I believe it was built in 1993 so it is older than some of the members here, it might weigh as much as some members too LOL

Most reactions

Back