Nikon D6 Let Me Down

Sanjeev Nanda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

I was looking forward to this beast being released in the wild. It turned out in the end, after all this time, to be a damp squib. I was hoping to pick it up after a price-drop, but I guess I have effectively changed my mind now.
~Sanjeev Nanda

A camera designed for the working photojournalist or sports shooter...not an internet reviewer's camera... other people would be better-served by several other cameras.

"After a price drop"???? That should happen in about 3 years... the camera is not even out yet, so it is unclear what you are talking about.

It's too bad you are disappointed, but this is not a camera that was designed for regular folks.

To be correct the D6 didn't let you down. You let yourself down for listening to the grey fox express his opinions on a camera that is in it's pre-release state.

It turned out in the end, after all this time, to be a damp squib.
~Sanjeev Nanda
Nikon has a tendency to name their models with the wrong number. This camera should have been called the D5-S and it would be correct.

I was of the mind that cameras with more bulkier designs, a la Canon T90, would be making a comeback in 2020. I was eyeing the Canon GFX-100 for this exact reason. Suffice to say, I'll have to shove my predictions down the drain for now.
~Sanjeev Nanda

A camera designed for the working photojournalist or sports shooter...not an internet reviewer's camera... other people would be better-served by several other cameras.

"After a price drop"???? That should happen in about 3 years... the camera is not even out yet, so it is unclear what you are talking about.

It's too bad you are disappointed, but this is not a camera that was designed for regular folks.

Anything that is not the release price, is a price drop in my eyes. True that it's not for amateurs, but a man can dream, cant he?

The camera is not yet for sale, so any price drop will not yet be obtainable. Afrer a year of actual retail availability I expect that there will be a slight price drop.

I think this will be a good camera for professional sports and news shooters. If one is looking for a higher megapixel count then the D6 is not the camera.

The camera is not yet for sale, so any price drop will not yet be obtainable. Afrer a year of actual retail availability I expect that there will be a slight price drop.

I think this will be a good camera for professional sports and news shooters. If one is looking for a higher megapixel count then the D6 is not the camera.
Agree. It delivers the goods for a distinct market. The OP just doesn't get it.

Jeez I wonder if some unprecidented world event has happened to cause Nikon from delaying the release of a camera used primarily for sports photography?!?

OMG THIS CAMERA IS BETTER THAN THE D5, I'M NOT BUYING IT!

Let's face it, you were never going to buy a new D6, or a used D5, or D4s, or D4, or D3x, or D3s, or D3, etc.

Last edited:
So he's doing a review on a camera that he hasn't even gotten his hand on. Sounds a little upset that Nikon wouldn't send him one.

Last edited:
The Canon T90 camera is from roughly 1986, or about a third of a century ago... I don't think that is where today's market in the DSLR arena is headed. I would consider the Nikon D800 to be the current best-value in a very high megapixel camera with a good quality +sensor. 36 million pixels for less than $800 American is a really good camera value. I have been buying used professional and high-end amateur cameras for the past 20 years or so. I think that buying two to three generations behind makes the most economic sense.

The D6 is designed for speed and reliability. Nikon is no longer focusing on high megapixel count in this segment, because it is not wanted, and it's not needed. Most news and sports photos today are down-rezzed quite a bit , so high megapixel count is not needed,and just not wanted. Tony Northrup is really not qualified to evaluate a camera like this, but working professional Shooters are. This camera is designed more for sports and news, where Rapid downloading and Rapid transmission of files over ethernet and Wireless is a real advantage. This is not a general purpose camera, and it is not designed for the hobbyist, but for the working professional who must have a camera that can be depended upon under rugged conditions and which outputs a good file of modest size. if you want a 46 megapixel camera, then there are other options which cost Less and which were designed for consumers, not working Professionals in the sports and news and action categories who do not need ultra high megapixel count cameras, and that is where many amateurs misunderstand what Market segment the D6 has been optimized for. if you want a high megapixel camera Nikon has the d800/e,D810, and the d850 and z series cameras... it is quite possible that a very fine camera could be found from among 6 earlier models.

Last edited:
The Canon T90 camera is from roughly 1986, or about a third of a century ago... I don't think that is where today's market in the DSLR arena is headed. I would consider the Nikon D800 to be the current best-value in a very high megapixel camera with a good quality +sensor. 36 million pixels for less than $800 American is a really good camera value. I have been buying used professional and high-end amateur cameras for the past 20 years or so. I think that buying two to three generations behind makes the most economic sense.

So true. There's an embarrassment of riches now with 2-5 year-old cameras that deliver so much for so little on the used/demo market. Some do worry about dying in their sleep not owning current gear but it's never cost me any sleep whatsoever. So many seem compulsively driven to believe whatever they're shooting is somehow limiting their files without sensing the possibility they're being herded to "upgrade" for no plausible reason. YMMV, as usual but just be aware of the possibility that it's not the gear that's hindering you.

i am going to buy nikkon suggest me few lenses
What is your proposed budget?
What type of photography is your goal?
What is your current level of experience?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back