Nikon D60 vs. Canon Digital Rebel XTi

RyanGSams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Which is better? I am new to photography and i am looking for a DSLR and just don't want to make the wrong choice. any help would be appreciated. thanks

Welcome to the forum.
Good question and one that has been debated many times on the forum. I did a quick search on the forum of D60 vs Rebel Xti and found 31 threads. So you might have a hard time getting this conversation started again.

Your best bet would be to go to a couple of those threads and see what you think. Here is the link to one of them.

I know you will love whichever one you decide to go with. They are both good cameras.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/130280-canon-rebel-xti-nikon-d60.html

Not to try to lead you in a new direction here is a review I did on my T1i (I know its not the XTi) and I would greatly recommend it. I've had great success with the 15 megapixels and speed of the processor (Digic IV).
Random Thoughts of a Photographer: Review of my new Canon T1i

I have found that the choice of Canon or Nikon is largely driven by whether you have compatible equipment or then your peer group preferences. If you hang around with a Nikon crowd you will lean toward Nikon and vice versa on Canon.
Hope this is slightly helpful.

I have a D60 and LOVE IT. and havent heard to much on the XTi but i will say Nikon is better with color but canon is more crisp, but thats just me.

Flip the coin. :D They are both good cameras.

I have a D60 and LOVE IT. and havent heard to much on the XTi but i will say Nikon is better with color but canon is more crisp, but thats just me.

Are you talking about JPGs? Because when you start shooting RAW that goes out the window.

The XTI has an advantage with a CMOS sensor vs. a CCD sensor that's in the D60. The XTI will have less noise at higher ISO settings which allows for you to get better shots in darker conditions.

Here is a comparison of the two cameras sensor performance

Compare cameras

The D60 has a wider dynamic range, 11.4 stops versus 11.0 stops, and the D60 has slightly better color depth at 22.5 versus 22.1 for the XTi. The Xti edges the Nikon in low-light ISO performance with a score of 664 versus a score of 562 for the Nikon. Overall, the DXO Mark sensor performance score for the Nikon is 64.5, the Canon is 62.1 overall. Both are pretty close in terms of image quality and build quality. One is a Nikon, the other is a Canon.

The facile CMOS is always better than CCD argument is quite tired.

When citing DXO Labs test results, it helps to explain the ratings numbers a little bit.

5 points equals 1/3rd of a stop in their ratings.

If one has a dynamic range of 11.4 and the other has 11.0 there is no appreciable difference in the performance and to the human eye would be unnoticeable. If one were to have a dynamic range rating of 16 and the other 11, then there would be a 1/3 stop difference and you would be able to see the difference with the human eye.

You can find more information about the rating system here: DxOMark metrics

Last edited:
Canon doesn't make the XTi any longer. A better comparison would be between the Canon XS or XSi.

Ok but im looking at used ones and the Nikon D60 and Canon XTi are almost similar in price...

Thank you everyone for your input...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back