Nikon d600 oil/dust on sensor

My d600 just had it's shutter replaced.
So I went from 26,000 shutter activations to ZERO.
I cleaned it once myself early on when I saw oil at around 6,000

Nikon was in denial when the entire fiasco initially cropped up.
But now the value of what you buy is fantastic.

My sensor was FILTHY before i even started to notice, and that was because i took a photo at f/11 once.

my needs were a cheap yet powerful FX camera that took great pictures -- It did it. I bought it refurbished for much less than retail, and ultimately wound up with a free brand new-in-box D610 (with extra battery and all) 40,000 accusations later.

The D600 never gave me any bit of trouble other than some oil spots that eventually made their way onto the sensor. Once I noticed them, I kept shooting it for over a month because I wasn't ready to be without it. Then I was without camera for 9 whole days, where the shutter was replaced and it worked good as new again. One year later and 20,000 more shots, I noticed oil again, called them up, sent them a few samples, and was approved for a free replacement the next day.

So yeah, the D600 was technically a lemon, but it's the sweetest tasting lemon you'll ever eat.

This is the image that triggered my free replacement.

Turner Motorsport No. 97 BMW Z4
by The Braineack, on Flickr

about 5 seconds worth of post work i forgot to clean up.

this shot also has zero clean up:

DSC_0619-11 by The Braineack, on Flickr

let's play: Find the Oil Spots with this one...

Last edited:
Just a quick update, a few days ago I just got my brand new d610 fresh in its box with extra battery, charger and a fresh warrenty :D Pretty sweet as the d600 I gave in had over 150k shots on it and a load of scratches :) As I said before I took mine in person and it took about 10 days to pick up the new one. I did make quite a bit of effort to make sure nikon understood it was the second time I was giving it to them and I wanted it replaced not another bodged repair, not sure if that made a difference but can't hurt to give an extra little push ;)

Thanks Nikon!

IMG_0219.jpg

Most reactions

Back