Nikon D600 Pre-Order

Always wanting the NEXT one, but never THIS one, is a wonderful money-saving strategy!

I'm thinking that (1) I don't really need a D800 and (2) the D600 isn't all that much more than my D7000. I'm staying with my D7000 for now. I might pick up a clean used D700 if the price is right.

The file size issue is over-rated. Anyone I know with a D800 hasn't had to upgrade their current pc/laptop, nor do they find they run much slower when processing RAWs from the D800. The trick I think is, not to over shoot. Delete on cam as you go. Don't spray and pray.

I wish people would quit saying thr D600 isn't much more than a D7000 ... they're completely different animals. Just because the body is similar, doesn't mean it's the same thing, Far from. No DX sensor can compare to an FX. They just cannot. The video is improved, it's got mic jacks, a better sensor all-round, more MP [ok, that's not really significant] and will pull loads more detail out of those juicy FX lenses than a D7000 would, even in crop mode.

As much as I want an FX sensor camera I cant afford one so its purely academic on all counts. I will be be buying a D300 when the price comes on down hopefully and thats as good as it will get. Maybe in a couple of years when the shiny has worn off of a D700 I might get lucky and get one but I am not holding my breath.

The file size issue is over-rated.

I just finished editing a 40gb+ wedding. D800 raw files. In the end, I exported 668 images in .jpg format at 300dpi. The final damage was 9+gb's of .jpgs, or 2+ DVD's. THAT'S ridiculous.

Oh-My-Gawd!!!! "two plus" DVD's??? That's like, well, Christ, that's like $1.49 worth of DVD media....Oh-My-Gawd! The overhead costs! Damn, that means a single Starbucks coffee drink costs MORE than the six DVD's needed for the JPEG exporting of two whole weddings' worth of images! How can a guy stay alive at those prices? How will we afford coffee, or gasoline?

:lol:

Wedding photographers really need to stop hammering the shutter - who needs 1000s of wedding photos? nobody, that's who. If you're shooting over 1000 images at a wedding, you're shooting too much. In the end, the couple want about 200-300 fully processed images to look through. They don't want to be bored sifting through 1000+ , even of their own day!

:lol:

Wedding photographers really need to stop hammering the shutter - who needs 1000s of wedding photos? nobody, that's who. If you're shooting over 1000 images at a wedding, you're shooting too much. In the end, the couple want about 200-300 fully processed images to look through. They don't want to be bored sifting through 1000+ , even of their own day!
who do you think looks like they are earning their money better? mr
spray and pray who shoots 1000 photos? or the guy who
carefully composes and snaps
the 100 photos the couple actually want?

just saying

That's my point. Less is more for these things. Nobody is impressed with someone rattling off 1000s of shots, getting in the way of events every 5 minutes. The best wedding photographers I've come across, you would barely know they were there on the day, apart from the more formal shots. And they come up trumps with amazing images, people often saying "i never even knew he was taking that!" The D800 should tame many of the sprayers.

Hell no.

The D600 is in no man's land. The D7000 is 90% the same camera, minus the sensor and a few other irrelevant upgrades...for less than half the price. The D800 has the flagship AF package, a significantly better meter, much higher resolution, a dedicated AF-ON button and a whole lot of minor convenience features the D600 is lacking...for only $900 more.

The main customers for the D600 and the MWACs and people who don't do their homework.

PS. I'm not even going to discuss the options available in the used market. There are tons of better options for $2099.

Yea, only the single MOST important part of the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back