nikon d700 vs d7000

if i had 8 wedding booked allready, with a 50% down payement. i would have gotten a d3/s allready

do you have the budget to upgrade your lens too.

it seems it would be a waste to buy the d700 and not have any fx glass

if i had 8 wedding booked allready, with a 50% down payement. i would have gotten a d3/s allready

My thought exactly...

I am not charging a ton of money for weddings yet so I am not getting that much of down payments..plus I just bought the d90 not to long ago which I wanted the d7000 but it was backordered and I needed it sooner than I could get it and now I really wish I didnt have to buy the d90 because I really would prefer to have both the d7000 and the d700 instead...but it is what it is....I eventually with more experience will hopefully be able to afford that in my budget some day

do you have the budget to upgrade your lens too.

it seems it would be a waste to buy the d700 and not have any fx glass

I am looking to buy 1 or 2 new lenses I just dont know what ones I want. I dont want to spend $5000 on a body because then I will not be able to buy any lenses. if I buy the d7000 I can buy more lenses if I buy the d700 I have to limit to 1 or 2.

I guess even if the d700 does get replaced it is still a good camera to buy right?

I don't understand why Wedding photographers are asking what they should buy. Surely if you can do weddings you should know what you need.

You shouldn't just be looking at getting 1 D700 you should be looking at 3. What happens if it breaks you can't say to a bribe "Sorry missed you cutting the cake, my camera broke". If your going to do weddings you can't afford to mess up, you need to be 100% prepared, have you got off-camera flashes, have you thought about what happens if it rains, what are you going to do if you drop your 70-200? Have you got a spare?

Have you got public liberty insurance? Professional indemnity insurance?

There is so much more to think about, that is why Wedding photographers are expensive you aren't doing yourself any favours not charging full whack.

I don't understand why Wedding photographers are asking what they should buy. Surely if you can do weddings you should know what you need.

You shouldn't just be looking at getting 1 D700 you should be looking at 3. What happens if it breaks you can't say to a bribe "Sorry missed you cutting the cake, my camera broke". If your going to do weddings you can't afford to mess up, you need to be 100% prepared, have you got off-camera flashes, have you thought about what happens if it rains, what are you going to do if you drop your 70-200? Have you got a spare?

Have you got public liberty insurance? Professional indemnity insurance?

There is so much more to think about, that is why Wedding photographers are expensive you aren't doing yourself any favours not charging full whack.

I am just asking for an opinion on the cameras. I am not sure what is wrong with that?
I know I want the d700...I have other cameras if something happens..I dont have 3 d700 eventually yes I would like to have 3 full frame cameras. yes I have external flashes other lenses.

I want to upgrade and am trying to make sure I am making the right choice for right now.

Why not look at the D300s? It's a step above the D7000 and below the D700.

yes I have but from reading on the d7000 it almost just seemed better than the d300s imo...but I really do want the d700 but at the same time I really wish I knew when the newer version was coming out but I guess at the same time there is always something new coming out and I really want full frame.

Just buy the d700 already, thousands if not millions of weddings have been shot with it; if a newer version comes out it will be at least $500 more then the current one.

I'm thinking the replacement will be around ........
Isn't "speculation" and "thinking" synonymous in this context?

Thanks djacobox372 for bringing this back around.

I am in the exact same predicament. I find lots of people talk about build quality and "its a pro camera" and "fx is better" but not many people put them side by side and shoot actual images and compare them. I don't know about you, but I don't slam my camera around and find it hard to believe that a company like Nikon hasn't created a camera for "consumers" and not think about it getting dropped, picked up by kids and generally abused. Most pro photographers I know are usually very careful with their gear. I found this that may help. Also, the bottom line is image quality. Does the d7000 stack up to the d700, I think so. Just my opinion.

D7000/D700

you can check this page to do an interactive comparative test with ISO. i moved the marque over the queen of hearts and set all the cameras to raw iso 3200. The D700 isn't available to select in this test, so i selected the D5100, D7000, D300s, D3s <<< click to see

The D3s seems to have a much softer image than the others, but in response to that it has the best high iso results.
the D7000 comes in second with great results followed by the D5100. Surprisingly the D300s comes in last for high iso noise.

Last edited:
You have to keep in mind that not everyone understand all the technical aspects of photography. My wifes sister-in-law actually was paid $300 to shoot a wedding with a cheap point n shoot canon, it is pink and im sure t cost $100 or less... She's kind of a hillbilly (as my wife would say) :)

Stick with the bodies you have and upgrade your glass. Then you will be ready for the FX body upgrade when you can afford it.

You have to keep in mind that not everyone understand all the technical aspects of photography. My wifes sister-in-law actually was paid $300 to shoot a wedding with a cheap point n shoot canon, it is pink and im sure t cost $100 or less... She's kind of a hillbilly (as my wife would say) :)
None of that makes her a wedding photographer.

Most reactions

Back