Nikon D700?

Reyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to upgrade my camera with my tax return! I'm sooooo excited but wanted to get some input. I was planning on purchasing the Nikon D700 but wanted to see what everyone on here thought? Is there a better camera for a better price? (I need to stay with Nikon) I know there was a lot of talk about another Nikon camera a few weeks ago so I wanted to get some opinions! Thank you!

I am waiting(it's been a long time) for news on D700 replacement to see what my options are. I know I will be looking at different price points, but it will come down to the performance/feature difference vs the price difference. If you are not in a hurry, you should hold on to your money. Plus, the price will probably drop further towards the replacement launch, just don't know when.

they are replacing the d700??! good to know! do you know when the replacement is coming out?

Many people are speculating towards the end of the year. Aug- Dec

dang, i don't know if i want to wait that long. that money will most def. be spent by then! lol

Well, you know, may be you can combine that with your next year's return and get some good lens to go with it..... I only got $5 this year..... but hey, I am not losing anything.

The longer you wait, the less photos you will take with it.

Nikon releases cameras in April and August / November sort of time.

April will be the D5100 and Mirrorless.
August will be D800 and D400.
January next year D4.

Its very possible that the D800 will be released along with the D4.

Nikon releases cameras in April and August / November sort of time.

April will be the D5100 and Mirrorless.
August will be D800 and D400.
January next year D4.

Its very possible that the D800 will be released along with the D4.

You might see a delay in models deppending on what happens in Japan from the disaster (D700's and up made in Sendai factory)! Even though its reported that factory was not heavily damaged. The town east of the factory was wiped out. Think employees. Also supplies into and out of the factory. Power to the factory. Very well might see a dealy in product delivery, if not whole programs.

Just might get a D700 now while you can!!!!

I can't see anything being released and couldn't give a **** after what has happened i just wish i could do something to help

d700 compatible lenses are generally more expensive, if its a concern.

Why are you set on the D700?

Judging by your lenses, the only one that will work well on the D700 is the 50mm. Your other two lenses are DX lenses, meaning they're made for a crop sensor. Stepping up to a full frame like the D700 while still using DX lenses means your lens won't cover the full size of the FX sensor (I think, someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Honestly, when I was upgrading from a D5000 (I wanted better ISO performance, focus motor, and an overall beefier camera) I was debating between the D700 and the D7000. Ask yourself what features you really need on the D700 frame that you can't get with a lower end model like the 7k.

Given the options:
1. Spend $2300 on a D700, then have little left over for glass, or
2. Spend $1199 on a D7000, have a bunch left over for glass

I'd go w/ option 2. But that's just me. I also looked at the D700 when I was upgrade from the D5k, but I ended up sticking with the D7000. I gave a long hard look at both, but for what I do, the cost just wasn't worth it.

Well with what happened in Japan, release and availability will be greatly affected so I would say get a D700 while you still can.
As some mentioned stepping up to a full frame will require FX lens which are pricey so it might be advisable to start upgrading some of those.

From your lens bag you can only make full use of the 50mm which is a great lens but no telephoto :(

Personally, I would upgrade to a FX body over a DX(D7000) along with a 24-70 2.8 and make great use of the combo in the summer :)

I've been waiting on a D700 as well - moving up to full frame for weddings. How severely is the events in Japan expected to affect US supply? Will it be immediate, or will it take some months to show itself?

I saw a translated story from NHK (Japan news) that said Nikon's facility would be offline until the 14th, or for 14 days, I couldn't tell if it was a translation error or not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back