Nikon D7000 Grip Question

brian_f2.8

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone that has a D7000 with a grip, can you tell me how many fps you are getting? I have looked around but didnt see much on the improvement. I getting into shooting sports and I would like to use a nice DX camera because of the extra length. A D7000 with a 70-200 f2.8 lens total cost is 2500$ and my reach with the crop factor is a huge savings compared to an older D3 with the same lens for 4500$. Until Getty, US Presswire sponsor me Ill shoot with what I can afford. Dont worry Im not holding my breath on an email from either of those companies - lots to learn.

I had a gripped D7000, but unfortunately never timed my fps. You can probably google and get that type info

Nikon doesn't claim any increase in the D7000 FPS rate if you use a MB-D11 vertical grip.

The max FPS rate can only be attained by using an acceptable group/range of settings. For instance a slow shutter speed can slow down the FPS rate. Using single focus and focus-release priority rather than continuous shutter-release priority can also slow the FPS rate.

The D7000 is an entry-level camera. Only the Prosumer, D300s and D700 get a FPS boost by adding a MB-D10 vertical grip.

Last edited:
[h=5]Nikon D7000[/h]
Release Date: October 2010http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon-d7000-features.html
Key Features16.2 megapixels, 1080p movies, 6 photos-per-second, ISO up to 25600
EnhancementsAutofocus during movie capture
Great ForHigh quality stills and video
LevelIntermediate to Advanced
CompetitorsCanon 60D
The Nikon D7000 is a mashup between Nikon's pro cameras and their high-end cameras for advanced amateur photographers. It builds on the feature set of the Nikon D90, offering an enhanced Full High Definition 1080p movie mode (activated via a single button the camera's back), a 39-point autofocus system, and the ability to capture 6 photos per second at a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second. The D7000 also borrows something else less obvious from the pro cameras: the body is made of magnesium alloy (metal) which lends it a heavy, solid, durable feeling.
I think its a level or two above entry level....It shoots higher frame rate than the new D800....but to answer your question NO it does not speed up by adding a grip

Nikon's numbering system is unambiguous. Dxxxx and Dxx(letter) cameras are entry-level. Dxxx(letter) are prosumer series. Dx(letter)(letter) are pro series.

No doubt the D7000 is top dog in the entry-level category and has raised the bar, for several technical reason's it remains an entry-level camera.

i agree its an entry level, but i was hoping with a grip i could get more fps. the d7000 is very good. overall i might go with a d800 for other reasons. the problem is that you only get 900 shots on a battery and its only 4fps. thanks everyone for the input.

Im gonna go get my dremel and grind off the last zero so it will be a D700

LOL

is there a grip performance with the d800? id be ok with shooting in dx mode on a d800 for sports with 6fps and if there is a grip boost great. anything i do in studio or landscape stuff, then sure ill use the fx mode. i know not taking full advantage of the d800 but its a 2 n 1 and better than buying a d3. another option is that the d700 is still a great camera for about 1600$

No doubt the D7000 is top dog in the entry-level category and has raised the bar, for several technical reason's it remains an entry-level camera.

can u please tell what are the tech reasons?
i consider buying this "top dog" :)

There is no increase to fps with a gripped D800. As for the technical spec, there is a waterfall of a difference. higher dynamic range in the pro cameras, way better low light performance, higher fps, more focal points, FX sensor are all things the DXXX and D3/4's offer over the D7000 body.

Sent using PhotoForum

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot sports with a D7000 and Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 (i assume your talking about the VR1 since you say '$2500 for both'.. if your talking VR2 that's a damn good deal)...

Even if adding a grip to the D7000 improves FPS (which it doesn't) the issue is the buffer on the D7000... you'll fill it up fast. The D300s and higher end FX bodies have bigger buffers (thats why people are calling it a consumer body).

However, Don't let people tell you its entry-level. It has better control, better build quality and better dynamic range then other current Nikon DX body. (Flame reduction: The D3200 has a bit better dynamic range.. and the D300s has better build.. but as a package the D7000 offers a more modern system).

I'm very happy with my D7000 setup for sports. Your next best choice in the same price range would be a Canon 7D with 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM.

Well this is an old post that resurrected. I have found a D7000 with a grip for 900$. I have seen 70-200 f2.8 VRI go for 1250$(yes on ebay). I have a 7D which I am trying to sell. Its a great camera and does very well for sports. The 8fps and very clean images at 6400 ISO look good.

I shoot sports with a D7000 and Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 (i assume your talking about the VR1 since you say '$2500 for both'.. if your talking VR2 that's a damn good deal)...
I'm very happy with my D7000 setup for sports.
Good to hear, I just picked up a D7000 to replace my D5100. I shoot motocross. I'll have ~$2,800 in my D7000 (griped) w/70-200 f/2.8 vr2 lens setup.
Even if adding a grip to the D7000 improves FPS (which it doesn't) the issue is the buffer on the D7000... you'll fill it up fast.
That's what I've been hearing, about how many RAW shots can you take before it fills up?

Here is the NEWLY-UPDATED Thom Hogan review of the Nikon D7000. He updated it this week, 2nd week of October, 2012. it has a lot of great information and insight/analysis on the D7000. Nikon D7000 Review by Thom Hogan

no clue why people are so obsessed with fps. honestly if you spray n pray all day it makes a nightmare afterwards when you are sorting in photo mechanic. nothing wrong with having it when you need it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back