Nikon D7000 Shots Left Indicator Problem

psesinkclee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have my D7000 here with two Sandisk Extreme 16gb cards in it, but the shots left indicator on the screens seems to be incorrect.

On my D90 with one 16gb Sandisk Extreme card (shooting RAW, 12bit) shows 1.0K shots left when empty. The D7000 shows only 584 shots left with the same settings (RAW, 12bit) with the same card. It remains the same if I have one or two of these cards in it. I have the D7000 set t use the second memory card as overflow, so I would expect it to show around 2.0K when they are both empty and the settings remain the same.

Is there something I'm missing here?

try reformatting the cards in the 7000

Yep, I tried that.

Still having the problem. Would the megapixel difference between the D90 and the D7000 double the amount of space that RAW files take up?

It will take more space, but not double. The raw compression also may vary a little between the two cameras, but not that much. I'd double check your compression and file size settings.

If you look at your top display you can see two memory card icons, with one having a number and the other blank. The amount of photos your camera is displaying is off the selected card, once it is filled it will switch to the backup resetting your counter.

Is your "Image Quality" set to RAW + Jpeg? Also, is the RAW set to 12- or 14-bit?

try reformatting the cards in the 7000

Yep, I tried that.

Still having the problem. Would the megapixel difference between the D90 and the D7000 double the amount of space that RAW files take up?

It will take more space, but not double. The raw compression also may vary a little between the two cameras, but not that much. I'd double check your compression and file size settings.

Compression is set to Loseless Compression. This makes the files larger than the other Compression type. Changing it to the other one raises it to around 700 from 584 on a blank 16GB card. This is a bit more, but not close to what I have on the D90.

If you look at your top display you can see two memory card icons, with one having a number and the other blank. The amount of photos your camera is displaying is off the selected card, once it is filled it will switch to the backup resetting your counter.

I understand this, but this means it is showing that I have less than 500 shots per card (and both at 16GB cards).

Is your "Image Quality" set to RAW + Jpeg? Also, is the RAW set to 12- or 14-bit?

I have it set to RAW only. For this test I have it set to 12-bit (to be on par with the D90), but I will normally use it in 14-bit.

...........I have it set to RAW only. For this test I have it set to 12-bit (to be on par with the D90), but I will normally use it in 14-bit.

I set mine to the same settings, and I get 567 shots on a Toshiba 16g card. Is it set for lossless compressed or compressed?

...........I have it set to RAW only. For this test I have it set to 12-bit (to be on par with the D90), but I will normally use it in 14-bit.

I set mine to the same settings, and I get 567 shots on a Toshiba 16g card. Is it set for lossless compressed or compressed?

I have it set to Loseless Compressed, but I get about the same number of shots when I have it set to Compressed.

There is a similar problem with the D7000 to be aware of. If you are shooting RAW to card 1 and JPEG to card 2, the cards become synchronous. For example, you have 267 photos RAW on an 8GB card, then the JPEG card can only hold 267 photos, even though there is tons of room left.

There is a similar problem with the D7000 to be aware of. If you are shooting RAW to card 1 and JPEG to card 2, the cards become synchronous. For example, you have 267 photos RAW on an 8GB card, then the JPEG card can only hold 267 photos, even though there is tons of room left.

I don't see that as a problem. If you're shooting RAW and JPEG it would keep the numbers the same.

My problem is shooting only RAW and for some reason it just seems to be taking up much mre space than I thought it would Maybe its the combination of the Compression Types, 12-bit vs. 14-bit, and the Megapixel Difference.

The D90 is a 12.3 mp, while the 7000 is a 16.2.

Mathematically, that alone accounts for the drop from 1000 shots to 759 (almost 25% less).

The manual will tell you that the numbers shown on the LCD/monitor are approximate.

Is it possible there's some files not in the DCIM/subdirectories? I don't know if formatting the cards will erase just what's in the subdirectory, or whether it totally wipes out everything.

The D90 is a 12.3 mp, while the 7000 is a 16.2.

Mathematically, that alone accounts for the drop from 1000 shots to 759 (almost 25% less).

The manual will tell you that the numbers shown on the LCD/monitor are approximate.

Is it possible there's some files not in the DCIM/subdirectories? I don't know if formatting the cards will erase just what's in the subdirectory, or whether it totally wipes out everything.

I figured they were approximate since the number goes up by around 3 or 4 after every 10 shots done in rapid succession. These were new cards from the box, and I just checked them. They only have the image directories on them.

Although, my shots have been reduced to around 580. Just seemed like a big drop to me, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Maybe it has to do with Nikon's Expeed 2 processor.. it dips into the card memory as a buffer just like your computer can dip into your HD memory.

The number shown is only an approximation. It has to be approximate, because image file size varies with content.

Also each camera model has a unique Raw file format so your D90 and D7000 are not directly comparable relative to Raw image file size. The D7000 will likely have more metadata in the file than the D90 will.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back