Nikon D7000 vs Canon 7D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive had my first shoot yesterday with the d7000 and well, i am really happy with the result,

It was in a old ware house and light quality in the building was going from poor to really good.
I wanted to test the camera a little bit so we started the shoot by doing some natural light shots all over the place and wow, On aperture, at 2.8 with the 50mm 1.8 from iso400 to iso 800, all the pictures are noiseless. exposure were pretty much on the spot everytime using center weighted meetering. I did shot everything on automatic white balance and they came out perfect.
its was collld as ****, about -10 + wind. After 2 hours of shooting my hands felt like they were going to break.

Overwall, its a kickass camera.

wow that video was great, thanks so much! i've pretty much settled on staying with Nikon and i went to check out some prices last night. they were trying to sell me some filters too - are these really necessary? i know NOTHING about filters, but maybe i should get something to protect my 50mm? or is it not really worth it considering the lens is $600?

i know NOTHING about filters, but maybe i should get something to protect my 50mm? or is it not really worth it considering the lens is $600?

Using filters is right below the Nikon VS. Canon argument. I would suggest searching the forums on this topic. You'll get a wide range of pros and cons and can determine the best route for you.

I personally do not. My lens hood stays on when my camera is out of the bag. I do use a ND and CPL filter but not for protective purposes.

Hi,

It is Canon 7D all the way. Nikon D7000 has a lot of hype around it based on the spec sheet. However, it is only when people have started to get it into their hands that they have started to realise some of the implementation issues with the D7000. For one, you cannot see ISO in the view finder - a real miss by Nikon and one that comes as a shocker to me.

Canon 7D is proven, has an excellent performance and is very versatile. It will probably be the only camera in the crop sensor class where you cannot actually find a fault with.

My vote will go to the 60D though, which has similar features about it and comes at a slightly lesser cost - saves money that can be splurged on better lenses.

Cheers

Cheers
Prasad

Hi,

For one, you cannot see ISO in the view finder - a real miss by Nikon and one that comes as a shocker to me.

Then it will come as a bigger shock to learn you are completely wrong, and that the ISO setting can be displayed in the D7000 viewfinder. However, it is not the default setting for the D7000.

In the D7000's Custom Settings menu group, using menu d3, ISO can be displayed in lieu of the number of exposures remaining. In fact, the same is true for most Nikon DSLR's, though the specific menu # will vary.

Here is the Nikon D7000 users manual. I refer you to page 216. http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D7000_ENnoprint.pdf

Hi,

For one, you cannot see ISO in the view finder - a real miss by Nikon and one that comes as a shocker to me.

Then it will come as a bigger shock to learn you are completely wrong, and that the ISO setting can be displayed in the D7000 viewfinder. However, it is not the default setting for the D7000.

In the D7000's Custom Settings menu group, using menu d3, ISO can be displayed in lieu of the number of exposures remaining. In fact, the same is true for most Nikon DSLR's, though the specific menu # will vary.

Here is the Nikon D7000 users manual. I refer you to page 216. http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D7000_ENnoprint.pdf

pwned! :thumbup:​

I don't know if it is because I've just used Nikon longer but I just feel like the Nikon ergonomics, the front and rear dial is just sublime. Compared to the top dial and rear wheel system, at least in my hand, just doesn't compare. That and the ISO performance, and let's face it, when it comes to noise the D7000 delivers an ass whoopin. Still guess one of my disappointments is that unfortunately my camera fell out of my bag (off of a park bench) when I was taking it out and well... the dent is in the mode dial, so I guess the magnesium body still did it's job... (does anyone know if I can get that fixed)?

For what you are doing I think you would want the best camera for high ISO low light and lower noise work. In just about all cases, Nikon has the edge in low light high ISO applications. As far as FX vs DX, D700 vs D7000 the biggest difference I noticed was in the view finders. The D700 just has that big bright full frame look that makes the D7000 seem dim and small.

Seems you used a Nikon D7000 already so you are comfortable with that. Its a little less expensive than the canon also. Nikon seems the logical choice but i imagine you just feel that if you changed brand it would be more exciting than buying the same camera again. Better luck with your next purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back