Nikon D7000

VannahRose143

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you think of the Nikon D7000? And Pros/Cons? I'm thinking of getting one in december/ January

Highly recommend the camera. Do some research and check out serial numbers. Try to get a newly manufactured camera since there are a few in the earlier run who allowed oil spots to splash on the sensor.

Bynx said:
Highly recommend the camera. Do some research and check out serial numbers. Try to get a newly manufactured camera since there are a few in the earlier run who allowed oil spots to splash on the sensor.

Thanks! I'm defiantly going to do that!

Ditto on what Bynx said.. great camera!

What do you think of the Nikon D7000? And Pros/Cons? I'm thinking of getting one in december/ January
That's going to depend on what you plan to use it for, and what lenses you plan on acquiring to mount on the D7000.

The D7000 is at the top of Nikon's entry-level DSLR lineup. Indeed, the Nikon D3100, D5100, D7000 have redefined the entry-level category, industry wide. There are 2 higher levels of DSLR cameras - Prosumer and Professional.

Nikon's Prosumer and Professional cameras (D300s, D700, D3s, D3x) are due for replacement by new models, but those replacements have been delayed by the recent earthquake and tsunami that ravaged Japan. Nikon has facilities that were damaged in the city (Sendai) that was closest to the point where the earthquake occurred. Those facilities were where Nikon made their higher end cameras, and many of Nikon's parts suppliers were also impacted by the disaster.

KmH said:
That's going to depend on what you plan to use it for, and what lenses you plan on acquiring to mount on the D7000.

The D7000 is at the top of Nikon's entry-level DSLR lineup. Indeed, the Nikon D3100, D5100, D7000 have redefined the entry-level category, industry wide. There are 2 higher levels of DSLR cameras - Prosumer and Professional.

Nikon's Prosumer and Professional cameras (D300s, D700, D3s, D3x) are due for replacement by new models, but those replacements have been delayed by the recent earthquake and tsunami that ravaged Japan. Nikon has facilities that were damaged in the city (Sendai) that was closest to the point where the earthquake occurred. Those facilities were where Nikon made their higher end cameras, and many of Nikon's parts suppliers were also impacted by the disaster.

Well photography is a hobby of mine as of right now, but I do plan to pursue it in the future as a possible career choice. Another question I had was if I buy this camera, will it be worthwhile to keep and use for a LONG time, because it will be a long time before I spend this much money again. And my grandparents are planning to buy me a Sigma multipurpose lense. I don't remember which one it was, but it was between 300$ and 400$.

Well the D7000 does have a limit to how long it will last. Though as far as DSLR camera's go, the D7000 is relatively inexpensive.

The bottom end of the prosumer line, the up-coming Nikon D400 will be in the $2000, body only price range, and it's full frame counterpart, the D800, will likely be in the $3000 price range.
Nikon's current professional-level cameras, the D3s and the D3x, are $5200 and $9500 respectively (both body only), while many pros use medium format cameras that are in the $10,000 to $50,000 range
Actually, most of the camera gear expense is from having quality lenses. Nikon's Holy Trinity of zoom lenses is the:

$1800 - Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

$1700 - Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

$2200 - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

And here is Nikon's Budget Trinity of zoom lenses:

$1225 - Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED IF Autofocus DX Nikkor Zoom Lens

$750 - Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

$1125 - Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just got back from a morning wedding. Photography, for whom I was working, stopped by costco 2 weeks ago, and bought d7000. Took it on the job, played w/ it and mixed some lenses here/there... the next day after the job, he returned it. Hated the IQ camera was producing. Then he sent images to print and got a call from the lab that his images aren't what they are usually expecting. Maybe it was his preference, maybe it was a faulty unit - who knows. Just make sure you're purchasing from reputable dealer incase there is an issue.
Good Luck

KmH said:
Well the D7000 does have a limit to how long it will last. Though as far as DSLR camera's go, the D7000 is relatively inexpensive.

The bottom end of the prosumer line, the up-coming Nikon D400 will be in the $2000, body only price range, and it's full frame counterpart, the D800, will likely be in the $3000 price range.
Nikon's current professional-level cameras, the D3s and the D3x, are $5200 and $9500 respectively (both body only), while many pros use medium format cameras that are in the $10,000 to $50,000 range
Actually, most of the camera gear expense is from having quality lenses. Nikon's Holy Trinity of zoom lenses is the:

$1800 - Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

$1700 - Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

$2200 - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

And here is Nikon's Budget Trinity of zoom lenses:

$1225 - Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED IF Autofocus DX Nikkor Zoom Lens

$750 - Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

$1125 - Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Thanks again :) I'll take a look at those and see what works for me. Meanwhile, what do you think of sigma lenses? Have you tried them?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IgsEMT said:
Just got back from a morning wedding. Photography, for whom I was working, stopped by costco 2 weeks ago, and bought d7000. Took it on the job, played w/ it and mixed some lenses here/there... the next day after the job, he returned it. Hated the IQ camera was producing. Then he sent images to print and got a call from the lab that his images aren't what they are usually expecting. Maybe it was his preference, maybe it was a faulty unit - who knows. Just make sure you're purchasing from reputable dealer incase there is an issue.
Good Luck

I'll take that into consideration. I can't help but thinking that the mirror or lense was dirty, or maybe the default format was odd. Thanks for the advice!

eeeeH, who knows what was wrong w/ it.
From consumers, it seems to be a very popular body. From pros its a 50/50 - some claim that it is a great addition to the arsenal and others hate it.

Had the D7000 for about a year now, love it to pieces. It is a rock solid camera, I shoot it w. the kit lens and a 50 mm prime. Pictures are incredible. I would highly recommend it.

Compared to what? A D3s? The D7000 and D700 are both rated for 150K exposures, they both have the same life expectancy. And compared to previous models, that's right in line with many other Nikon prosumer/semi-pro bodies.

Good Luck

I find this very hard to believe! Nikon does ship the D7000 with Sharpening set very low.. and it produces very soft images right out of the box. But move the slider over a notch or two.. and I will put it up against any other camera out there. Sound like your "pro" didn't do that! ;)

And what "pro" would send images to a lab without checking them first, and doing normal PP... if they were that bad, most people would not have even sent them to the lab. Sounds fishy.....

Good Luck

I find this very hard to believe! Nikon does ship the D7000 with Sharpening set very low.. and it produces very soft images right out of the box. But move the slider over a notch or two.. and I will put it up against any other camera out there. Sound like your "pro" didn't do that! ;)

And what "pro" would send images to a lab without checking them first, and doing normal PP... if they were that bad, most people would not have even sent them to the lab. Sounds fishy.....

I agree!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back