Nikon D750 DSLR with 24-120mm VR Lens

What should I do?

• Just get the body without the lens

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm about to buy these two items for $1,996.95. I'm hoping to use this camera for portraits, pet photography and outdoor weddings and I'm wondering if I should buy the body only for $1500 or if this lens would work well for what I'm using it for.

Thanks in advance!

I would buy the full kit.
In fact if I had not blown my "toy" budget for the year, I would have bought the D750 + 24-120 kit.
But you need to check the reviews. The 24-120 does not have the IQ of the 24-70. So the question you have to decide is, is the IQ good enough for the wedding formals or not?

I voted for buying both items.

I bought the kit with the 24-120. Wasn't a big fan overall, ended up selling it. The IQ was nice but it was just clunky, unbalanced and, constant lens creep. One big reasoning was the dof. I've been enjoying portraiture more even though f4 does allow some separation the image would be soft until stopped down a little bit. A nice walk around lens but imho I would go sperate if you can afford the better glass. If i could go back i would've kept my smaller camera and invested in glass and nice lighting gear.

Portraits, especially headshots, I have to stop down to get both eyes reliably in focus to 3.2 from 2.0 on my 135 when the subject turns their head off camera axis. If you are shooting more than one person, you may need to stop down from the 4. However, I am not familiar with this lens and since poster above indicates the lens IQ isn't that of the 24-70 you have to ask yourself will you or your clients see the difference. Test geeks quibble over a tiny difference here or there. Your subjects probably like cell phone images so I doubt if they can tell the difference. Focus speed might be a question with pets who move about. Check the lens performance on that. But try a wedding indoors, and that extra stop just might be the difference between a useable image and a noisy one. I'm not familiar with the 750 high iso but it should be darn good. I am shooting an 850 and am amazed at the dynamic range and iso performance. I wonder if you used that lens and picked up an 85 1.8 or 1.4 for the shallow dof if that would be a good combination for much of your work.

I bought the kit 2 years ago and I love it. The 24-120 doesn't get a lot of love from the pixel peepers but, in real world usage it rocks for me.

Most reactions

Back