Nikon D80/Lens Question

JaimeC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm looking into getting a new camera. I was originally planning on getting the Olympus SP 570 UZ but the more I think about it I realize that I'm probably going to end up wishing I had bought an SLR. I haven't learned very much about lenses because so far I've spent almost all my research time learning about the camera bodies. I'll be using the camera for outdoor sports mostly (horse jumping etc), wildlife, landscape etc. The reason I liked Olympus 570 UZ was because of the large zoom. A lot of my horse competition photos will be taken on a cross country course which is a very large field with jumps spread all over the place. Although I am able to walk around on the field while the competition is going I will still definitely need a large zoom. I think the Nikon D80 sounds like a pretty good camera but I would love some other suggestions for camera bodies and lenses. I would like to keep the camera body plus lens cost under $1000.00. I was looking on ebay and it looks like I could get a fairly good deal on the D80 but I haven't looked at any lenses yet. I'm a total beginner so I can use all the help that I can get :wink:.

Thanks,

Jaime

Do you have a budget? A good choice would be to find a new or used d50 and an AF 70-300mm lens. This will give you alot of zoom on the cheap. The reason why i didnt say d40 was becuase since the lack of AF compatibility with several lenses. For example, to find this size lens that would work you would have to pay upwards of 500, while the normal one goes for like 130. Now this isnt a very "Fast" lens so you wont be able to use it in low light, but it sounds like your talking about mainly outdoor events.

Jimmy, the OP said a combo under $1k for their budget.

a Nikon D80 is a great camera, definitely look into one.

You could try getting it body only here (bhphoto), and perhaps get this inexpensive 70-300mm telephoto that has a built in motor so you get quicker & quieter focusing (as well as the ability to autofocus with cameras missing a focus motor.. ie D40). The lens, although cheap, is still supposedly pretty good, and this new feature of having a focus motor (they have a version without the motor which I think is older) sounds good for sports shooting like you say you like to do.

For shooting landscapes, indoor shots, etc. you will need to find a lens that can shoot wider.

Thanks very much to both of you! I hadn't looked at bhphoto before, looks like a great site.

I like the D80.

For lens choice, you can also consider the 55-200mm VR f/4-5.6. The VR will help with camera shake of static subjects at longer focal length. Not as far reaching as the Tamron Robbie mentioned, but it is pretty damn sharp with plenty of light. I would also think to look for used (non VR example) as well.

I think you are likely to need something in the 300+ range. (affording a good one is the trick) Someone on here has mentioned a Tamron that worked very well, try searching for that.

You are also going to need some kind of pod either mono or tri. Most likely a monopod if you are going to be moving around. You won't believe how much having a truly stable camera helps, VR or no.

If you are going to be doing much shooting at night consider getting an 80-200mm f/2.8 (Nikon used or Sigma if you need to go cheaper) and going with a used body. You don't have to have a VR lens if you use the monopod and if you use your sneaker-zoom so that you don't have to crop, 6 mega pixels will do you just fine!

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back