Nikon D80 or D200

OK, overnight I verified that the lens included with the kit is an AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 180135mm f/3.5 -5.6G IF-ED.

So, I'm wondering if a "new in the box" kit with a D200 and the above mentioned lens (but nothing much more other than a strap - no memory card)...is worth $1,400 including tax (from a local photo retail store).

Like I said, I'm seeing used D200 bodys for $1,000. And I think I've seen the above mentioned lens going for $340. But this lens price was from on line or internet sales channels.

I'm wondering if $1,400 is a good deal for such a package (it's new).

For a 180135mm lens definitely ;). Even for an 18-135mm kit lens that would be a reasonable price for a D200. Do make sure it includes a battery charger though.

Garbtz, yes...thanks...the kit comes with the body, the lens, strap, books, cds, cables and the battery charger (but no memory card).

I'm a little surprised that the d200 does not allow you to "see" through the lens on the LCD/Monitor in real time. But, it's an SLR and I'm used to using the view finder on my Nikon F3 SLR.

And, I don't know what he advantage of lining up a shot using the LCD except if one wears glasses?

D200 and D300 are retro-compatible to older AI and AIS lenses for lens to meter indexing. If you have these manual focus lenses (or plan on buying any, and these are good deals out there on them), this alone is worth the extra cost, IMO. (And I'm a D80 user. D80 has no mechanical indexing.)

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised that the d200 does not allow you to "see" through the lens on the LCD/Monitor in real time. But, it's an SLR and I'm used to using the view finder on my Nikon F3 SLR.

And, I don't know what he advantage of lining up a shot using the LCD except if one wears glasses?
To my knowledge, no DSLR cameras provide a live view.

I actually wear glasses and I personally can't stand the live view on cameras. I would much rather push my glasses up so I can get flush with the eye piece on the viewfinder than deal with live view.

Almost by definition, an SLR diverts the image from the lens to the viewfinder using mirrors. To pick the image up electronically at some point in this process so that it could appear on a live view screen would not be an easy thing to design. It's possible though. Doesn't Olympus make some "live view" SLRs?

To my knowledge, no DSLR cameras provide a live view.

What? Every camera made this year has liveview. The 450D, the D3 D300 D700 ?D60? are just a the examples from the big two.
Olympus and Sony make some too.

It's not hard to design. Move the mirror out of the way, and include algorithms for dodgy contrast detection AF and sensor based metering, both of which are far inferior to their matrix/eval metering, and phase detection AF counterparts.

Feature wise here's the biggest. The D200 is metal!

Wow that is nice, I wish they would do that with all dSLRs. Thats the nice thing about the old film SLRs, they are like little metal bricks lol.

I purchased a "new in the box" d200 with a Nikkor 18-135mm AF-S lens. I feel I got a fair to good deal on it. It's really got everything I need or want (at this point). I'm really liking it but I have not really had the time to get out and shoot much (because of work). Thanks everybody - for all your input. It really helped me make a decision.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back