What's new

Nikon D80? Worth it?

without_origins

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 6, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Austin, Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a total beginner, in college now for an associates for photography.

I have been given a price of $650 for the following:

Nikon D80- Body
Nikon Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm lens with UV protector
Nikon Nikkor AF 70-300mm lens (great for sports shots) with lens hood
8GB SanDisk SDHC Card
Manual, battery, and battery charger included.

Is this a good deal? Or is this just too outdated to even think about?

Thanks!
 
Which 70-300 is that? To me, that seems like a good deal for a beginner, as the lenses cover the a large focal length, and the body is pretty reasonable.
 
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80.htm

D
on't know if it's worth it... It's a pretty old camera, with a kit lens and one slow lens (bet i's 4.5-5.6 70-300). SD cards today are really cheap and battery may have some capacity issues (unless they are completely new which I doubt). If it was me, I'd consider at least something like D90.
 
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80.htm

D
on't know if it's worth it... It's a pretty old camera, with a kit lens and one slow lens (bet i's 4.5-5.6 70-300). SD cards today are really cheap and battery may have some capacity issues (unless they are completely new which I doubt). If it was me, I'd consider at least something like D90.

The OP is a beginner, a pure beginner. Depending on what 70-300 it is, it may be a good deal for a beginner.
 
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80.htm

D
on't know if it's worth it... It's a pretty old camera, with a kit lens and one slow lens (bet i's 4.5-5.6 70-300). SD cards today are really cheap and battery may have some capacity issues (unless they are completely new which I doubt). If it was me, I'd consider at least something like D90.

The OP is a beginner, a pure beginner. Depending on what 70-300 it is, it may be a good deal for a beginner.
For that price it's 99% a 4.5-5.6 version, without VR. OP may be a beginner, but does it mean he should get an inferior body and kit lens, when it's possible to find a better deal? Yes, D90 would be more expensive, but it may last him longer and give him better results. Just my thoughts...
 
So after talking to the seller, they lowered the price to $600 (I love that she is taking pity on a student, haha).

I do plan on getting a newer model camera within the next year or two so I don't expect this to last me. I want something that will get me through all the rough basics with good quality at a good price. My budget is really between $500-$600 at this point in time. I am not in a rush I just don't want to pass up a good opportunity if this happens to be one. I don't have too many worries on trying to learn with outdated equipment, it just means that once I can upgrade I will be even more amazed at what it can do.

With what you know now and remembering the position you were in when you first started would you jump at this deal?
 
I bought a used D80 with 18-135 one year ago for $400 ca. A good deal then and a used D80-kit is even cheaper today. I have hard to see how a used 70-300 can be worth more than $200 alone, if it's not something special. I would not buy it. You should be able to get a used D90-kit for that price. But on the other hand, second market prices may be different in Sweden than the US.
 
Last edited:
Thanks y'all. I ended up passing on that deal and went with a Nikon D5000 I found for a great price.
 
$500 would be a decent deal for that kit, $650 is too much.
 
Thanks y'all. I ended up passing on that deal and went with a Nikon D5000 I found for a great price.

Sorry to slightly derail the conversation but other than this camera, have you shot any other Nikons? How's the flipscreen?

I ask because I found it odd that for the D5100 they completely redesigned the flipscreen all the while I thought they had it right the first time with the D5000. At least to me.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom