Nikon D800 (Refurb) $1999.00

Derrel, I'm not going to type it all out again, but I already addressed the 6D sensor versus the D800 sensor, not a typo, 800, in this post, which you conveniently never responded to:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...es-between-canon-eos-30d-60d.html#post3030017

Instead of waltzing around writing down one-liners in various threads and then consistently running away when it comes to any actual evidence, perhaps actually address the real data from your own endorsed website? DxO Mark's data does NOT support your claims. It's not even like I'm bringing in numbers from some competitor. Their own actual data disagrees with their "overall scores" and thus your conclusions, which are obviously based exclusively on their overall scores, not on their actual data.

What the data actually shows is pretty much that D800 is better at low ISOs than the 6D, and equal or in some cases worse at higher ISOs in terms of sensor performance. In other words, about dead equal for practical purposes. Maybe 5% different on average here or there, which is meaningless in the logarithmic world of photography.

You have a unique point of view on life and how you see it. I am not saying it's right or wrong, just that I notice your post contents are often unexpected and a bit surprising to me.

Ooooh R, I am just polishing up my little girl right now to take her out for a spin. Can you hear her? Oh wait, no you can't because of that buttery, dreamy silent shutter mode. Sometimes I just don't even know what to do with all of my focal points....I get so overwhelmed with focal points! That ISO, oh my, oh my.......how I love thee! Sometimes as she sits in my hands I think to myself, how did I get this lucky to end up with such a gem for ONLY $2999.99 including shipping and a 3 year Mack warranty? Someday R, someday.......

But at that price I could practically buy 2 d800's. one to take pretty pictures with, and the other to throw at my enemies.

Ooooh R, I am just polishing up my little girl right now to take her out for a spin. Can you hear her? Oh wait, no you can't because of that buttery, dreamy silent shutter mode. Sometimes I just don't even know what to do with all of my focal points....I get so overwhelmed with focal points! That ISO, oh my, oh my.......how I love thee! Sometimes as she sits in my hands I think to myself, how did I get this lucky to end up with such a gem for ONLY $2999.99 including shipping and a 3 year Mack warranty? Someday R, someday.......

But at that price I could practically buy 2 d800's. one to take pretty pictures with, and the other to throw at my enemies.
Sure....if you wanted to downgrade. You might as well go back to the Rebel. Let me see if I can find you a discount on one of those! Are you always this cheap? ;)

I am reminded of some story from usenet, where there was some argument about which models of cameras were tougher.

Someone shut it all down by relating a story from WWII in which a journalist, surprised by an enemy soldier, beat him to death with, I think, a crown graphic. Which probably worked fine afterwards.

I went on a date with this guy one time, and it was our very first date. He was perfect in every way, UNTIL he used a coupon to pay for dinner. We were at the Olive Garden! Complete turn off! Not on a first date! After the first date then no problem, but come on not on the first date! The sad part was was that he drove a freakin Range Rover. You are so that guy aren't you R? You probably would have made me pay half! :lol:

Anyways....if all your lenses are Canon just go buy the damn thing and get over it!

I went on a date with this guy one time, and it was our very first date. He was perfect in every way, UNTIL he used a coupon to pay for dinner. We were at the Olive Garden! Complete turn off! Not on a first date! After the first date then no problem, but come on not on the first date! The sad part was was that he drove a freakin Range Rover. You are so that guy aren't you R? You probably would have made me pay half! :lol:

Anyways....if all your lenses are Canon just go buy the damn thing and get over it!

Well that's shallow and short sighted lol. He's able to afford the Range Rover because of his use of coupons.
Meanwhile, he's probably traveling through Europe on all the money he conserved, with another woman,and you're here talking about how much of a turn off it is to use coupons at olive garden lol.

Dude, that guy is totally smart. You should have got down on one knee and proposed right there.

I rarely ever pay full price for anything. This allows me to have lots of nice things, instead of just a few nice things ;)

Well that's shallow and short sighted lol. He's able to afford the Range Rover because of his use of coupons.
Meanwhile, he's probably traveling through Europe on all the money he conserved, with another woman,and you're here talking about how much of a turn off it is to use coupons at olive garden lol.
Yes, I am sure that $12 dollar coupon went a long way toward his $80,000 Rover. I wish him much happiness in Europe with his lover. It was still funny. Call me shallow all you want, but it was still a turn off. Hey, just being honest.

Honestly, i dont know why any serious photographer is messing with the D800 OR the 5DIII if they are really concerned with quality. They should be shooting medium format. 35mm size... Pffft. 35mm was the economy format of its day.

Yes, I am sure that $12 dollar coupon went a long way toward his $80,000 Rover. I wish him much happiness in Europe with his lover. It was still funny. Call me shallow all you want, but it was still a turn off. Hey, just being honest.

Guy was perfect in every way, drove an expensive car, but when the coupon came out at Olive Garden, it was a deal breaker. Nooo, you're not shallow at all lol.

I am reminded of some story from usenet, where there was some argument about which models of cameras were tougher.

Someone shut it all down by relating a story from WWII in which a journalist, surprised by an enemy soldier, beat him to death with, I think, a crown graphic. Which probably worked fine afterwards.
Those are made out of plywood. I imagine it wouldn't fare too well actually after a beating. Especially the ground glass. Although as an instrument OF the beating, for sure effective. And you COULD just use the rangefinder only if you broke the glass, so I dunno, maybe.

A steel monorail view camera though is a much safer bet all around if you expect a good chance of needing to weaponize your camera and then use it immediately. Those things are the ICBMs of the camera world in terms of tank-like-ness.

Honestly, i dont know why any serious photographer is messing with the D800 OR the 5DIII if they are really concerned with quality. They should be shooting medium format. 35mm size... Pffft. 35mm was the economy format of its day.
You're right! I routinely now shoot both 6D 35mm and 4x5 large format since having bought a shiny new shen hao field camera.
:D

There is obviously a lot of quality that you miss out on though, in some situations, for non-optical reasons: by having your shots cost $1.50 each, and by having your shots weighing a couple ounces worth of film holders to carry around each (+ 5 minutes developing time on average each), + no autofocus, no auto meter, etc.

The result is no HDR or any other sort of bracketing (unless you hiked like 3 hours for that one decisive image). No shots that you are sort of sure might work out but maybe not. No sudden spur-of the moment shots and only very difficult and well-anticipated action shots. No easy candids or street photos. Blah blah.

Medium format is of course a compromise on all of the above factors, but it's all a sliding scale!

I really can't wait until the days when large format or some equivalent similar digital technology (like multi sensor arrays) become affordable. That's going to kick a**

Last edited:
D600 is just as good as the 5DM3 but for about $1500 less brand new...

.... and there goes the neighborhood. :D

D600 is just as good as the 5DM3 but for about $1500 less brand new...

.... and there goes the neighborhood. :D

:Waits for response from Derrel and Gavjenks:

My response is very simple: The 5DIII is stupidly, insanely overpriced. If you care about dollar value at all and prefer a Canon full frame, you should get the 6D, which is not any worse overall than the 5DIII but costs almost $2000 less. So you should use the $1700 6D as a more reasonable body if you want to compare to Nikon D600 or D800 bodies, not the 5DIII.

The 5DIII is in my opinion an obsolete body and will lose in comparison to those Nikons when you take $$ into account. The 6D will come out about equal.

Most reactions

Back