Nikon D810....

I want to use this line in my signature.... It's just so true... "If you make a mistake with the D810, the D810 will point at it and tell everyone about it."

The D3200 will do just the same, and even more, given the higher pixel density rate.
You'd need a 54 MPix FX sensor to match the pixel density of the 24 MPix DX sensor.
The D810 can photograph in DX mode at 16 MPix, not 24 MPix.

Last edited:
Damnit!

This has to be it....

Almost everything I'm doing is with tripod right now and that's exactly the quality problem I'm having. That video shows a side by side comparison of VR on and off and the shots with VR on look exactly like whats wrong with my shots....

I need to take some more shots today.... I had no clue it was that much worse. Ugh.

Glad you seem to have discovered the problem.

Let us know how you get on, good luck!

You cannot compare low light images with brightly lit images. And you cannot compare the 70-200 with the 24-70 simply because the 70-200 is much sharper. It's not a correct way to make comparisons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, this proves that the jump from a d3200 to a d810 isn't as dramatic as most might think. What it does prove is that at medium aperture, low ISO, relatively fast shutter speeds and similar glass the 2 cameras are almost indistinguishable. The big differences are at the higher ISO noise levels and in the D810 ability to recover a lot more shadow detail. Kind of like comparing 2 trumpets, one a student line and the other a professional. A good player using the same mouthpiece playing Mary Had a Little Lamb would sound pretty much the same on each horn but, playing the Haydn Concerto would probably show some differences.

Last edited:
All cameras today are good. Some are just more gooder than others.

It's not just about IQ--the DX 32MP sensor is great--but I'd personally never go back to an entry-level body.

It's much more than the final IQ.
It's also about the process to get to such final IQ. In better cameras, the process to get there is so much easier.

I thought everyone already knew that at low ISO whether it's a $400 camera body or $3200 camera body the IQ is VERY similar.

It's when you get into high ISO the image quality begins to have a bigger gap.

You also get faster and more accurate AF with the 810.
You get a physically bigger body with a more tailored grip.
You get a built in AF motor.
You get a top screen LCD display.
You get dedicated buttons to important settings.(ISO, WB QUALITY, AF-ON)
You get an extra command dial.
You get a bigger eyepiece.
You get a bigger screen in the eyepiece.
You get a higher resolution screen on the back of the camera.
You get more programmable buttons.
You get a faster buffer.

People have to realize you are not simply upgrading for IQ when you go to a more expensive camera.

To me, this proves that the jump from a d3200 to a d810 isn't as dramatic as most might think. What it does prove is that at medium aperture, low ISO, relatively fast shutter speeds and similar glass the 2 cameras are almost indistinguishable. The big differences are at the higher ISO noise levels and in the D810 ability to recover a lot more shadow detail. Kind of like comparing 2 trumpets, one a student line and the other a professional. A good player using the same mouthpiece playing Mary Had a Little Lamb would sound pretty much the same on each horn but, playing the Haydn Concerto would probably show some differences.

False. The differences are staggering. Even between my d7000 and D800. Night and day. I've had the D800 for almost two months now and am still blown away by its imaging abilities.

I thought everyone already knew that at low ISO whether it's a $400 camera body or $3200 camera body the IQ is VERY similar.

It's when you get into high ISO the image quality begins to have a bigger gap.

You also get faster and more accurate AF with the 810.
You get a physically bigger body with a more tailored grip.
You get a built in AF motor.
You get a top screen LCD display.
You get dedicated buttons to important settings.(ISO, WB QUALITY, AF-ON)
You get an extra command dial.
You get a bigger eyepiece.
You get a bigger screen in the eyepiece.
You get a higher resolution screen on the back of the camera.
You get more programmable buttons.
You get a faster buffer.

People have to realize you are not simply upgrading for IQ when you go to a more expensive camera.

Exactly. It's about handling and use. I can shoot on the fly and not have to take my eye off the viewfinder for shots with the D800. With the D3200 I do. You can't just change settings easily with those bodies. It's not all about IQ.

Kind of like comparing 2 trumpets, one a student line and the other a professional. A good player using the same mouthpiece playing Mary Had a Little Lamb would sound pretty much the same on each horn but, playing the Haydn Concerto would probably show some differences.

Well said. Problem is, vast majority of us know only Mary Had a Little Lamb..

I don't agree with IQ being similar. I've D5300, D610 & D810. IQ differs drastically under controlled conditions.

I don't agree with IQ being similar. I've D5300, D610 & D810. IQ differs drastically under controlled conditions.

Could you provide an example?

False. The differences are staggering. Even between my d7000 and D800. Night and day. I've had the D800 for almost two months now and am still blown away by its imaging abilities.

This is my problem.

My D3200 is outperforming my D800 under even the most controlled environments.

I'm very agitated by it. I am not getting quality photos.

I know I'm not a master photographer but I'm not horrible either and this camera is producing absolute **** images.

I've literally invested the whole week into solving this problem and tried every single thing I can think of to tune it and make it better and it's just not happening.

I hate blaming the camera for something like this but I'm at a loss otherwise.

go get your money back.

Just got off the phone with Nikon. After an hour and a half, literally doing everything he told me to do, exact distance from the camera, shutter speed, lighting etc, all perfect, he responded, "Yes, I see a problem, these images should be MUCH sharper than they are" and then proceeded to tell me how to get my camera serviced.

Sigh.

It's a relief to know it's not just me being dumb but at the same time I'm going to have to deal without a camera for a week. At least I qualify for Nikon's professional services tier. Halves the time I'll be down but still.

Most reactions

Back