Nikon D90: How do I adjust for ambient + flash exposure at high shutter speeds?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let's say I'm shooting a portrait outdoors and I want to balance my ambient exposure with a flash exposure. For grins, let's say that my proper ambient exposure for the background at f/7.1 is 1/800. But then when I add flash exposure for my model, the camera will not shoot above 1/200 because of flash sync speed.

What adjustment is required if I want to shoot at 1/800 or if I want to push the SS higher, let's say to 1/3200.

Mark Wallace says to turn on "focal plane" to accomplish this. Is "Focal Plane" the same thing as high speed sync? I'm not familiar with the term "focal plane" as it relates to high speed sync.

See video below starting around the 4:25 mark for the relevant discussion....

Last edited by a moderator:
Menu e5.

You turn on auto FP. You need a good trigger set up, an auto FP capable flash, or a solid way to hack it. I used a d90 with an on camera sb800 with a trigger plugged into the PC port. It fired an off camera sb28 with a shoot through umbrella and I managed 1/2500. If you want to stay in sync speed, get an nd filter.

Menu e5.

You turn on auto FP. You need a good trigger set up, an auto FP capable flash, or a solid way to hack it. I used a d90 with an on camera sb800 with a trigger plugged into the PC port. It fired an off camera sb28 with a shoot through umbrella and I managed 1/2500. If you want to stay in sync speed, get an nd filter.

MachO, do you leave "auto FP" on at all times? Or do you turn it on and off when you need it?

Most reactions

Back